Is my juniper dying?!? Plz help!

Hotwheelz27

Seedling
Reaction score
Haven’t been able to figure out what is going on with my juniper tree. He’s getting brown spots! I’ve sprayed Ortho 3 in 1 insect mite and disease on the soil and some foliage bc I found some micro gray bugs in the soil. He is pretty bare compared to what he use to look like. The browning appeared about 2 weeks ago so I moved him to a shadier spot but it seemed to get worse, I’ve put him back in his original location. I use the chopstick method and he doesn’t need water. Stays in a screened in patio with a clear roof. Does anyone know what is happening?!? Please help!! He’s 16 uears old and I’ve had him for about a year. Haven’t repotted him yet either. I live in Florida, it’s hot and humid. Can I save him?!? Idk what to do!! :( :( thank you!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 62

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Unfortunately, it looks like it isn't going to make it and that's a shame because it's a really nice specimen. It probably had spider mites. There are some green areas left so it could still survive. You used the correct insecticide. You might try another application but this time you want to really hit the foliage hard. All the brown foliage can be cut off, it will never turn back green again. Sorry and good luck.

Hotwheelz27

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. But omg no!! please don’t tell me that :( I’m going to cry if Bodhi dies. Do I cut off the dead branches and foliage now? Hand prune or with shears? Should I keep him where he’s at? You don’t think it’s root rot do you? There seems to still be a good amount of live foliage left and parts of him are still budding... do I just cut all the brown off with shears? I haven’t really pruned him bc I’m scared and don’t know which type of foliage to prune...? Sorry for all the questions I’m just trying to save my baby!!! :( thank you again!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would remove the dead foliage but not the branches as they may still produce buds. You never ever ever ever use shears on a bonsai. Hand prune each bit of dead foliage and get to know the tree. In this hobby we all lose trees that really get us but we have to learn from the situation and move on. Giving your tree such a personal name and even a gender makes the loss even more personal. I would avoid tree naming in the future.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Prepare for the worst, but hope and work for the best.
It's the general rule I lay down on growing any plant.

With my very, very, very limited knowledge on juniper, I'd say the left side has a chance of making it. But again, prepare for it not to do so.

Top Bottom