Is my new buddy alright?

Lifeinloops

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello fellow bonsai lovers

I always felt like getting into bonsai, but for some reason it seemed to me like I needed a lot of mental availability to this hobby, and boy i was right...:p
sooo much to learn, and i am enjoying every piece of info i can get.

I acquired this acer palmatum atropurpureum, I believe this is the right species. And i live in portugal.

I want to give him the best care possible so it can grow a nice and thicker trunk. I came to the conclusion i need to re-pot him to a training pot, one where he can develop and grow stronger.

But i am not sure if i can do that now, because of the time of year, his current state does not seem to be the best, i just had him for 4 days now, and fertilized him yesterday, according to the people in the store, that should be done now. But i am starting to think that not everything they told me was accurate.

What do u Bonsai experts think about this matter? he looks so fragile in my eyes.

Thank you so much in advance for your time, would really appreciate if anyone could help me out here.

Attachments

• 167925546_294878015376621_189139103368588745_n.jpg
    167925546_294878015376621_189139103368588745_n.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 168108481_1106916179809877_5774215888625193117_n.jpg
    168108481_1106916179809877_5774215888625193117_n.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 168026944_2436433256501704_1351863790000356659_n.jpg
    168026944_2436433256501704_1351863790000356659_n.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would help to know where you are. They are just beginning to leaf out here.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Your new friend looks just fine but you have chosen a slightly difficult one to start out with. Japanese maples do not like heat or dry or wind or being indoors. It sometimes takes a few years of practice to give these what they need to sty alive and healthy.

Lots of places sell these small sticks that we refer to as mallsai because they are the cheap and cheerful version of real bonsai. Most go to beginners and have a very short life expectancy. I hope yours makes it through your learning curve.

A larger pot will do a couple of things. It will allow the tree to grow a bit more and it will also give you much more latitude for inaccurate watering as larger pots take longer to get real dry and kill the tree.
We do not usually repot deciduous trees like maple after the leaves are open but it is possible in some circumstances.
You can 'slip pot' most trees into a larger pot at any time provided you do not have to remove many roots. Just slide the root ball out of the current pot (it may be tied into the pot with wire which you will need to undo or cut first), lightly rough up the outside roots and pop it into the larger pot with new bonsai soil around the root ball. This is the same technique usually shown for planting potted plants in the garden.

Slip potting like this can have some consequences:
If the old soil and new are very different it becomes hard for both water and roots to cross the boundary between soil types and sometime the tree will die as a result.
If the roots are not lightly scraped out there is a definite boundary between old and new which sometimes stops new root growth into the new soil.
Moving a very small tree into a very large container can sometimes cause problems. If the roots cannot fill the new pot quick enough the soil becomes stale and can kill new roots. Just 1 or 2 pot sizes is usually enough.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I am sorry, can not understand what you mean with this.
@sorce is right on.

From the picture with your hand I guess the pot is around 12 cm long x 7 or 8 cm wide and maybe 4 cm deep? Around double (volume) will probably be safe for potting on but not too much bigger than that.
If you put a tiny tree straight into a great big tub there is a good chance that it could get sick and die.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Atropurpureum will most likely frustrate you if you're seeking vigorous growth and development of this tree in a bonsai pot. They come out wonderfully in spring, and they truly are beautiful, but they just don't grow a lot in a bonsai pot. In hotter climates this is particularly true; atropurpureum does not like summer heat. A larger pot can help, but you should manage your expectations with regard to this species/cultivar. Get a couple of ficuses, they should do well and grow with good vigor in your climate. Good luck!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you put a tiny tree straight into a great big tub there is a good chance that it could get sick and die

Just a pondering..
When is the last time you've done this?

I have a feeling this is one of those myths that is only a myth because of newb watering mistakes, that remains a myth because when we are more advanced, we already believe this "myth" so we never try it again. Also because it's uneccesary and slows things down probably...but...

I don't even necessarily believe this is true.

Not that it matters at all, you're just one of few who entertains these thoughts of thought for the sake of thinking.

I figured you'd be asleep for awhile! What time is it yonder?

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Still at it but almost ready to knock off for the night. Currently 10:46pm.
I have to be up in the morning to heat water cause the neighbor is coming early to murder a bunch of chickens. (Which obviously has nothing at all to do with bonsai or this Japanese maple!)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just a pondering..
When is the last time you've done this?

I have a feeling this is one of those myths that is only a myth because of newb watering mistakes, that remains a myth because when we are more advanced, we already believe this "myth" so we never try it again. Also because it's uneccesary and slows things down probably...but...
You are absolutely right. I have not personally had this. Just passing on heresay so you could well be correct about it all being complete crap! On the other hand does the OP want to be the one to try out out with his one and only 'new buddy'?

Lifeinloops

Seedling
Reaction score
Just go up one or 2 sizes. From 6CM to 8 or 12CM.

Welcome to Crazy!

Dying to know what "lifeinloops" means to you.
So truthful that is!

Is this plant indoors regularly?

Sorce
Thank you very much!
about the meaning of my name.. I wouldn´t even know where to start from. It is literal to start of, but also spiritual; metaphysical and metaphoric... well... i don´t want to blabber too much about it.

Lifeinloops

Seedling
Reaction score
You are absolutely right. I have not personally had this. Just passing on heresay so you could well be correct about it all being complete crap! On the other hand does the OP want to be the one to try out out with his one and only 'new buddy'?
Guys, i am really confused now.. should i bite the bullet and do it? i don´t wanna kill him! rather keep him alive than to mess up!

And btw thats my girlfriend´s hand.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You keep this tree outdoors...correct? As a maple it needs to be outdoors in order to survive.

Lifeinloops

Seedling
Reaction score
I keep it outside, correct sir! i bring him in to spend the night because of the cold. dont know if i should keep doing that tho..

The mass of earth on the pot is completely independent from the pot, i mean the maple separates quite easily from the pot.

So Mr Smith, do u think i can slide pot him to a 2 size pot at this time of year considering his state now?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
“Life in Loops” depends heavily on how you view T (time) itself. ;)

Nice Lil’ Palmatum..

They are quite quick to fuss, as others have mentioned...

I noticed my Atro make the same marks because of both wind stress.. and 2-step stress.. if you can get it happy, it should be no problem.

If it is IN leaf in Portugal, and it wasn’t imported... chances are you don’t have to bring it in overnight (2-step)... My Acer P Atro came to me in full leaf from Texas... and it’s PRE-bud break here... so I “2-step” when it get’s below 41-42F

How cold is it getting in Portugal?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Guys, i am really confused now.. should i bite the bullet and do it? i don´t wanna kill him! rather keep him alive than to mess up!
I would say no. Now is not the right time to repot that tree because it has already leafed out.
We normally repot maples in the late winter/early spring just as the buds are swelling. Once the tree has leafed out, its too late.
The tree will probably be just fine in the pot it is in until next spring.

Also based upon the ID of acer palmatum atropurpureum, this is what we call a "bloodgood" cultivar.
Bloodgoods generally are not the best Japanese maples for bonsai because they have very long internodes.
This will be a good learning tree so use it for that. As you learn more about bonsai, which cultivars are better and gain more confidence, get another tree that is a better variety of maple to develop if in fact they do well in your climate.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would say yes; only if you're not cutting any roots.

Pop whole thing out that tiny pot. Loosen outer part of entire rootball a little. Repot in a wider pot and fill with new soil similar to what it's planted in.

Bareroot and repot in proper soil next spring as buds swell if tree grows well this season.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
good luck and you might have heard of New Bedford and Fall River massachusetts? i am eating linguica on a pop-roll and drinking a sumol right now ;)
wish i had a malasada as well. i live 5 mins from these two heavily portuguese cultured areas by the way

good luck with the maple, i like it. get it outside in semi sun

Top Bottom