Is Nick Lenz's Book Outdated?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I just got Nick's book the other day, and so far have only read about P.Pines and RMJs. But he suggested using Superthrive on newly collected material. Me personally, I find this stuff uncredible. Which then makes me wonder how up to date his suggestions are.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At the risk of starting another superthrive war...there are quite a few well known bonsai "experts" who still use (and recommend) superthrive for collected trees, or even after regular repotting. So I wouldn't base my decision about his methods/suggestions on that issue. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the book (but have seen it) so I can't say anything about the rest of his suggestions, will be interested to see what people think.

Chris

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I just got Nick's book the other day, and so far have only read about P.Pines and RMJs. But he suggested using Superthrive on newly collected material. Me personally, I find this stuff uncredible. Which then makes me wonder how up to date his suggestions are.

If your referring to "Bonsai from the Wild", I know there were earlier editions, so it's possible that little tidbit got through the editorial modifications from one edition to the next.....or......he really likes the stuff;). Either way, it's a great book, particularly if you're into Pondys, RMJs, and larches...it's one of my favorites.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
If your referring to "Bonsai from the Wild", I know there were earlier editions, so it's possible that little tidbit got through the editorial modifications from one edition to the next.....or......he really likes the stuff;). Either way, it's a great book, particularly if you're into Pondys, RMJs, and larches...it's one of my favorites.

I've yet to make that decision yet lol And another what I find inconsistent is that PP needles can be hardly made smaller...yet I've seen several, Walter has one that I recall had 2-3"? Hard to tell from pic, but certainly looked appropriate on a med. sized tree.
Also Nick suggests using Scots Pine to graft, I thought using JBP was the better choice? Maybe he's suggesting Scots as it's closer to growth rate of the PP??

I look forward to reading the book entirely. So that's really why I asked this, as I want to use the best technique currently known. Great looking trees though!

Chris, I didn't know any 'experts' were still using this stuff. I've tried it, but never noticed a difference, but then again, I've never had/tried it on recently collected material.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nick is of the "old school" of North American bonsai and you will undoubtedly find evidence of that in some of his horticultural commentary. i.e. the minor details.

But you will not find a better written source on info about Larix laricina and Thuja occidentalis. I've personally found that almost every thing he says about collecting, rehabilitating, developing, and maintaining these two species is completely accurate. Those two chapters alone represent about 1/3 of the book.

The horizontalis and communis chapters are priceless as well, although I've not yet worked with those species. Not many people (if any) have studied those species as long as he has. He is also recognized as an authority on Malus sp.

So no, it is not out of date. From my biased perspective as a north eastern collector and bonsai grower, it is the best bonsai book ever written. Not just for the techniques and pest control tips, but because it is very well written and his trees are gorgeous! Plus it is all based on his personal experience, which counts for something. If you live in California, it is a pretty useless book.

I've lost count of how many times I've read the Thuja and Larix chapters, but I find something new every time.

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Nick is of the "old school" of North American bonsai and you will undoubtedly find evidence of that in some of his horticultural commentary. i.e. the minor details.

But you will not find a better written source on info about Larix laricina and Thuja occidentalis. I've personally found that almost every thing he says about collecting, rehabilitating, developing, and maintaining these two species is completely accurate. Those two chapters alone represent about 1/3 of the book.

The horizontalis and communis chapters are priceless as well, although I've not yet worked with those species. Not many people (if any) have studied those species as long as he has. He is also recognized as an authority on Malus sp.

So no, it is not out of date. From my biased perspective as a north eastern collector and bonsai grower, it is the best bonsai book ever written. Not just for the techniques and pest control tips, but because it is very well written and his trees are gorgeous! Plus it is all based on his personal experience, which counts for something. If you live in California, it is a pretty useless book.

I've lost count of how many times I've read the Thuja and Larix chapters, but I find something new every time.

Well after reading some of the Larch chapter, and browsing thru the pics as well, I have to admit that I made a totally wrong conclusion. Like you said amkhalid, his trees are absolutely gorgeous, carving jobs of something I can only dream of now, and very detailed on what I've read in the Larch chapter. To be honest, I'm not a fan of rocks, carved images etc on bonsai, but the tree's themselves are awesome.

Sorry about questioning this book. I can easily see how this good this book is for the pics of his trees/inspiration, and also his detailed suggestions for Larch (and I'll trust you that the other chapters are just as detailed). But I also agree, this book is mainly for NE bonsai hobbiest and not so good for the west coast. That's fine with me as I can learn a lot from this book!

"Sorry Nick"! ;)

Bradeen

Seedling
Reaction score
I have read about pests in the above posts and eel that it's a big problem for every one in these days and peoples are worried due to these. Know you need not to much worried about it because we have better solution of this problem. termite treatment brisbane

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found the book very informative. I did find that the quality of the photographs are inconsistent. Some are of excellent quality while others are blurry and grainy. But, over all it is an excellent book.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I have 35 years in Koi. If i had a dime for everytime I've been asked to write a book on the topic, I could buy a pretty nice bonsai with it...:)

Whenever you write a book and it gets published, your information is IMMEDIATELY dated.
Progress has a way of passing you by.

But just as the pioneers in the beginnings of the U.S. made trails for others to follow there is worth in that. And each generation should be able to build on the shoulders of the generation
before. Were there rocks in these trails? Yep...but it didn't trip those that followed in their footsteps....just if you don't believe in superthrive don't use it. ( I use HB101 )

I have nick's original softbound. He even signed it for me..."think larch" was what he wrote.

I always tell my Koi students to be like a sponge for information. Absorb all of it you can and only release those things you can't prove to be true yourself. I think it works for any student of any japanese hobby included my beloved bonsai and suiseki.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I hadnt neard that superthrive was debunked. I have still heard it was a great helper and used it to soak my root balls prior to repotting. Whats the argument against it?

Definitely not stirring feces here...genuinely want to know.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The point is nick knows his stuff about the species he talks about. Super thrive is his rabbits foot. Everybody likes a good luck charm. Mine is making sure my trees don't dry out? His knowledge of collecting the species he talks about is recognized. Don't over think the super thrive part of it. The book is solid. It has good direction for the trees he talks about.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've used many of Lenz's recommendations with respect to matching soil types and pH's to certain species, specifically his comments on larch, malus, and juniper, and the results have been great.

His unique personality really shines through in his bonsai and in his book - outdated or not, I like it.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
amkhalid hit it on the head, Nick's specialization is definitely Larch and Thuja, both of which are greatly explored and a wealth of good info is in his book on those species. As an eastern collector, his info on thuja and communis has been my bible (unfortunately I cannot keep larch alive near me).

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Is there a way to get this book in digital form? I can’t seem to find it for less then 350$.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
great bonzo book, different than most--but as Benbow says everything is dated, I am dated you are dated, everything is immediately dated---but still worthy.

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Damn! Must be the Special Edition, gold covers with diamond encrusted spine!
I’m
I just sold my second edition last week for $50. I also sold my first edition a few months back but it was for quite a bit more but nowhere near $350.

Do a search for the book. On amazon it’s 350$ to 800$ Used. I’m looking to buy this book if anyone has a copy they are willing to part with. But the price needs to be down to earth lol.

Reactions: Vin

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m

Do a search for the book. On amazon it’s 350$ to 800$ Used. I’m looking to buy this book if anyone has a copy they are willing to part with. But the price needs to be down to earth lol.
The facebook auctions are where to buy it, I just bought mine for around 20 bucks. It is also a favourite book of mine, all native trees!

Last edited:
Top Bottom