Is nothing safe?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

An update on COVID-19.

The health and well-being of our customers and employees is a top priority.

In response to coronavirus concerns, using CDC and Massachusetts Public Heath Guidelines, we are cancelling the Open Workbench scheduled for March 22nd. HOWEVER, New England Bonsai will remain open, during regular business hours.

We are a niche garden center, and we do not host large gatherings and most of the nursery is outside. We rarely have more than 10 visitors circulating through our 8 greenhouses.

With the uncertainty that everyone is experiencing, our goal is to be responsive to the needs of our customers. We are keeping a close eye on all reports coming from the CDC, as well as local health departments. We will update you as events unfold.

Tree Sitting Pickup Plan

With the warmer than expected weather, we’ve received a lot of emails about tree sitting pickup. No problem.

If you are uncomfortable coming during business hours, please email or call us. We will try to accommodate “by appointment” schedules.

is any place safe?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
overreaction?

Today my university closed for classes for the rest of the month. I am still working, but from home.
But to worry about picking up trees from a nursery..?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My kids are both home from university and high school for at least 2 weeks... I suspect longer. I'm about to go help with the set up for our spring bonsai show at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens... I have seriously considered pulling out this year as my Mother in law lives with me and has COPD. You only have to look to Italy to realize the next few months unfortunately may have more "first time ever" events in store for all of us.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here, all schools will be closed for at least two weeks, from pre-school to universities.

Our bonsai meetings are cancelled at least until the end of March, the town council has decided to shut down all meetings of associations.

Public transport and cinemas are still not affected, but most concerts are cancelled or postponed.

Like I do at least once a week, I'll go and see my mother who now lives in an eldrely persons compound : I'll have to type a code, tghen write my name in a log-book so that if there's a case it can be traced.

So far, it's not really a catastrophy, and thanks to our health system everyone can be treated, for them and the rest of the population, but it's worrying : it won't disappear when cherry trees bloom, we're not at the peak of the pandemic.

And From the Trudeaus to Bolsonaro, including Nadine Dorries, money and power is not a "wall"....

A good health system for everyone, proper measures and precautions, we can all overcome that with international cooperation : globalisation has positive aspects after all...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A good health system for everyone, proper measures and precautions, we can all overcome that with international cooperation : globalisation has positive aspects after all...
On the other hand.. The intense globalization is what causes this to spread so fast.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Buckle up, eh?

Absolute shit show here this afternoon but needed beer, plenty of that left but no meat, pasta, flour, veggies. Fools.

@Dav4 please don't risk it with your situation at home. So not worth it right now.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
On the other hand.. The intense globalization is what causes this to spread so fast.

Globalization is, and has always been inevitable.

It dates back to millions if years, when first hominids began to leave south Africa and spread into the rest of the world.

Today, we envisage globalization as a form of economic system, but it's much more than that : it's sharing knowledge. It's co-operating to make everyone on earth live a better, safer life, not trying to recoil in our "shell" like mollusks. For some, the 1%, it means "MONEY", at all cost for the rest of the primates. Mankind would have never evolved with "walls", consanguinity was the end of many species. In terms of genetics, science and the rest.

"Globalization" doesn't mean we should not take preventive action. Science is our best weapon, not twitter. Not political agendas that exclude people while others are in countries with golf-course interests that obliterate common sense.

There is no Liberty without Equality, no Equality without Fraternity, and in this world, I think we need more Fraternity, if only to defeat the covid-19, not lableling it as "foreign" like some say. A virus has no borders. And stupidity has no limits apparently.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trump doesn't like Walter's Hedging Method.

He's too trying to keep him from here.

Hahahaha....

I hope no one is stuck away from family.

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
ALL my work is gone. During my busiest and most lucrative time of my year. No mass events over 100 now in our state makes theatre shows obsolete. Also no sick leave for workers in my hourly wage industry. I think it's good to be safe even with all the $$ I'll be loosing. I have 2 parents over 90 with all kinds of issues, I've been stocking them up for when I'm not able to go over to take them somewhere if I get it. Oh and worst of all I had to cancel the Sergio workshop I had set up for this late spring. Bummer big time, but not going to make a friend travel for that.

@sorce shame on you. (for the take em out remark.)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
God ain't taking who he don't want.

Fake virus or no fake Virus!

I don't even believe in it enough for that remark to hold weight.

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Buckle up, eh?

Absolute shit show here this afternoon but needed beer, plenty of that left but no meat, pasta, flour, veggies. Fools.

@Dav4 please don't risk it with your situation at home. So not worth it right now.
Turns out, it’s been canceled… I felt obligated to go as I’m one of the more long-standing members of the club, but I’m also relieved…

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
God ain't taking who he don't want.

Fake virus or no fake Virus!

I don't even believe in it enough for that remark to hold weight.

Sorce

For every post you make that provides a shrivel of useful info, there are at least 20 others that are absolutely moronic, such as the above.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Found this about the situation in the US, dated March 5th:

Mon Dieu, how relieved were you when you had the opportunity to post this? I imagine you’ve been relentlessly refreshing the forum, waiting for this moment.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
ALL my work is gone. During my busiest and most lucrative time of my year. No mass events over 100 now in our state makes theatre shows obsolete. Also no sick leave for workers in my hourly wage industry. I think it's good to be safe even with all the $$ I'll be loosing. I have 2 parents over 90 with all kinds of issues, I've been stocking them up for when I'm not able to go over to take them somewhere if I get it. Oh and worst of all I had to cancel the Sergio workshop I had set up for this late spring. Bummer big time, but not going to make a friend travel for that.

@sorce shame on you. (for the take em out remark.)
So very sorry to hear this! In the Seattle area we are shutting down the works. I’m 5 miles from ground zero at Evergreen Hospital and it’s like a huge pall is overlaying the area. Everyone’s cancelling everything that involves any kind of groups of people clustering together. I had my first taste of the emerging problem when I had to take a friend to their ER two Sundays ago and patient 2 passed away.

The Pacific Bonsai Museum will still be open right now, but guided tours will be few and far between.

Since the expansion of COVID19 testing program can only be described as a massive government “Goat Rope” at the moment, everyone’s holding their respective breath until we can get the testing really ramped up. Should be another week. Only then can anyone trust the numbers that are being posted on websites.

The good news is that the trees are all pushing out of their buds out here and the flowering plums, cherries, and apricots are all lighting up the place like random fireworks bursting everywhere!
Stay well! DSD sends

!BFA270F6-95A0-4479-9B2C-778CF00043AB.jpeg

Top Bottom