Is ROR popular?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t have any pictures to show yet because there’s nothing to see for now (rocks and roots are all buried), but I have started 2 root over rock plantings: a mugo pine and a shimpaku juniper. It’s too early to have any idea how they’re going to turn out.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if it’s the type of material used that prevents a lot of really developed ones from showing up. It seems most of the real serious guys want to start with developed trees, or at least developed trunks, as opposed to saplings and cuttings. Yamadori and established nursery stock usually have Thier roots developed well past the point where jamming a rock under it is really the best use of the material.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have this winged elm. I didn't create it. Jason Schley did that. So no real progression shots. The roots were bound with rafia...and I repeated that technique up until last year.
View attachment 260668
That is a root "clasping rock" not ROR

You will know the difference with a true ROR. The roots will be molded to the rock and actually part of the rock. You won't feel the rock loose within like if you pick it up wrong, the rock will fall out.

002.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is a root "clasping rock" not ROR

You will know the difference with a true ROR. The roots will be molded to the rock and actually part of the rock. You won't feel the rock loose within like if you pick it up wrong, the rock will fall out.

View attachment 260749View attachment 260750View attachment 260751View attachment 260752
Well that's a relief! Those are nasty. Surprisingly this rock of mine has been in training a long while...and those roots aren't seemingly loose at all on that rock. Many don't have the patience it takes to allow the roots to attach and grow to be snug...and they end up having their trees fall off their rocks. Bonsai is patience though.I much prefer my look. As I've seen satsuki also like mine sold as ROR. I would hate for those roots of mine to go flat like that. I might have to sell it if they did. I assumed it was more of a trident curse...than anything.

Top Bottom