Is sap a proof of life?

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey guys, i repotted a cypress 1 month ago and no new growths are evident but lot of sap is running from random places and wounds on the trunk and branches, so is that good or bad?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
While sap CAN be proof of life.. it is important to remember that sap IS life... so TOO much escaping COULD be troublesome, one would assume.

I know nothing of Cypress... but knowing WHICH cypress would help.

In my climate, conifers sap out from wounds for a variety of reasons... most of them being incorrect procedural timing.

As i said, i know nothing much of Cypresses.. or of precisely WHICH cypress you currently have.. but this may be helpful.

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
While sap CAN be proof of life.. it is important to remember that sap IS life... so TOO much escaping COULD be troublesome, one would assume.

I know nothing of Cypress... but knowing WHICH cypress would help.

In my climate, conifers sap out from wounds for a variety of reasons... most of them being incorrect procedural timing.

As i said, i know nothing much of Cypresses.. or of precisely WHICH cypress you currently have.. but this may be helpful.
It’s a thick trunk leylandii with some deadwood, i know not recommended for bonsai but was very cheap and old.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
not recommended for bonsai

Hehe! This matters not TO ME! (I actually have a thread devoted to NON-ideals... don’t sweat it. ;)

I believe the answers you seek MAY lie in timing.. i BELIEVE most cypress like spring repotting but NOT certain...

What’s your climate like currently? ..... I think will almost be a mirror image (not factored for inversion)... Are you in “Autumn”?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
leylandii with some deadwood
Hopefully it is not this, but Leyland's are very susceptible to something called seiridium canker. It can be identified by plants sacrificing whole branches, and soft legions on the bark exuding sap.

There is no cure, all you can do is prune out affected growth. Clean your tools with alcohol after every cut to make sure not to spread it further. Bag up or destroy all plant parts pruned off.

Good luck!

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hehe! This matters not TO ME! (I actually have a thread devoted to NON-ideals... don’t sweat it. ;)

I believe the answers you seek MAY lie in timing.. i BELIEVE most cypress like spring repotting but NOT certain...

What’s your climate like currently? ..... I think will almost be a mirror image (not factored for inversion)... Are you in “Autumn”?
It was repotted late spring, it’s summer now 25-30 C

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hopefully it is not this, but Leyland's are very susceptible to something called seiridium canker. It can be identified by plants sacrificing whole branches, and soft legions on the bark exuding sap.

There is no cure, all you can do is prune out affected growth. Clean your tools with alcohol after every cut to make sure not to spread it further. Bag up or destroy all plant parts pruned off.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info i looked into, There aren’t any dead branches YET on the tree, deadwood was created by a big cut of the trunk and most sap is running from small wounds as i removed ald bark trying to find live veins .AB9C45C7-F9A6-47ED-82FA-E0B888E14295.jpeg63D88BA3-6281-4427-B786-C0B0EEEC489C.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, trees can't "bleed" to death. Sap is not blood and trees are not humans. They operate differently. Sap loss is sap loss. It will eventually stop when the wound seals itself off from the damaged part. That can mean loss of significant part of the damaged area, unfortunately. Where that line will be for this tree is yet to be determined.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
FWIW, trees can't "bleed" to death. Sap is not blood and trees are not humans. They operate differently. Sap loss is sap loss. It will eventually stop when the wound seals itself off from the damaged part. That can mean loss of significant part of the damaged area, unfortunately. Where that line will be for this tree is yet to be determined.

Interesting.. I definitely thought a tree COULD lose enough sap to try out it’s tissues and “vascular” system and instigate death.

Groovy! Writing it down.

:)

I love to learn

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A frigging download! Damnit! Lol.

That information can be very damaging to a bonsai.
IMO.

A wild tree's roots will usually have an infinite access to water.

Bonsai do not.

I believe that is good information to have, but it could be very detrimental. So I advise forgetting it altogether.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A frigging download! Damnit! Lol.

That information can be very damaging to a bonsai.
IMO.

A wild tree's roots will usually have an infinite access to water.

Bonsai do not.

I believe that is good information to have, but it could be very detrimental. So I advise forgetting it altogether.

Sorce
Huh? This is silly...If you're watering your bonsai correctly and concienciously, they stand to have a more infinite supply of water than trees in the wild. Trees in the wild are commonly hit with drought...No one is looking after them...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Huh? This is silly...If you're watering your bonsai correctly and concienciously, they stand to have a more infinite supply of water than trees in the wild. Trees in the wild are commonly hit with drought...No one is looking after them...

I can not more politely say, though true, that's not the point.

Plenty of trees have a root in actual water, I'm talking about those.

Once a root in always moist earth "removes" the water from an area, pressure of depths, bring replacement water there again, this doesn't happen in a Bonsai pot.

Sure, a feller could pour water into his tree all day, but avoiding that is our goal.

I think silliness, is thinking watering care, or health of tree will be equal, if it is pouring out sap.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can not more politely say, though true, that's not the point.

Plenty of trees have a root in actual water, I'm talking about those.

Once a root in always moist earth "removes" the water from an area, pressure of depths, bring replacement water there again, this doesn't happen in a Bonsai pot.

Sure, a feller could pour water into his tree all day, but avoiding that is our goal.

think silliness, is thinking watering care, or health of tree will be equal, if it is pouring out sap.

Sorce
Huh, again, this is silly. You're rationalizing. If you care for your bonsai and water them, water isn't an issue AT ALL...It is for trees in nature, since they get watered by chance, not caretakers. I certainly ain't pouring water on my trees all day :rolleyes: I water them when they need it. They've been fine for 25 years now...

I have topped and root pruned maples for years-- they lose sap--but if you prune the roots at the same time you do your initial chops, the trees don't "bleed". Bleeding sap Has more to do with turgor pressure.
"The sap loss is a minor issue for the tree."
"...excess quantities of sap running down a trunk or limb can attract harmful insects and disease fungi who feed on the sweet syrupy substance, but it is usually more of an aesthetic nuisance –"

Top Bottom