Is the work worth the $59 price?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My only question about the chops was that you said you don't buy material and chop it. But you clarified that by showing that the material you are after is started as a whip and chopped several times through the years, versus on major chop on an already large tree
It is not in my best interest to purchase a large and expensive piece of material only to bring it home and cut off the upper two thirds. I also do not do layers to gather more trees, it is of no use to me and I also would prefer to have a maple chopless. I do layers to improove the base of trees on occasion and have layerd the top of a tree when all else has failed in the tree, but not on a routine basis.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Smoke - does the California "West Coast" factor spoil you in terms of the quantity, quality and price of raw material? You seem to be in an excellent position to acquire quality stock at very affordable prices.
I absolutely do not think it is because of the Asian influence here. Maybe 50 years ago, but not so much in the last thirty or so. The people growing material in large quantity are not Asian and follow no Asian influences in growing it. What is a big factor is climate. We have a long growing season that does not require winter protection and sun is abundant which is needed when growing material in a short time to market. Nearly all the big box store nursery material is grown in the west and bonsai material is no different.
018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_00090009.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How many people remember Ripsgreentree from bonsaiTALK days. Everyone thought we hated each other, they called us itchy and scratchy, cause we argued all the time about bonsai. Glenn is one of the best friends I have. If Ted Matson has come to your neck of the woods to perform a workshop and he brought material for it, it came from Glenn VanWinkle. Nearly all the material for the biannual Shohin Seminar comes from Glenn in some way. Glenn has provided material for so many GSBF conventions it is staggering. Some of Glenns growing areas.

013.JPG 018.JPG 019.JPG 023.JPG 024.JPG

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Smoke it drives me nuts when you play those pictures from Muranakas. Love seeing that place and always end up shaking my head that I can only buy from the dozen trees he offers at a time on ebay. I called their nursery probably about a year ago and asked if they could possibly send me pics of a few trees and was told no. He asked what I was looking for, I told him and he said he would try and put something on eBay. He did and I bought it but damn, to have so many choices of black pines must be delightful.

Glen is the calidama guy? I think I remember him selling some on the Facebook sites, but never any trees which is a shame after seeing what he's got. But I guess he doesn't have to.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I absolutely do not think it is because of the Asian influence here. Maybe 50 years ago, but not so much in the last thirty or so. The people growing material in large quantity are not Asian and follow no Asian influences in growing it. What is a big factor is climate. We have a long growing season that does not require winter protection and sun is abundant which is needed when growing material in a short time to market. Nearly all the big box store nursery material is grown in the west and bonsai material is no different.
View attachment 88360

View attachment 88361

View attachment 88362

View attachment 88363

View attachment 88364
Exactly, Al. The "Asian influence" created an awareness of bonsai in enough of the general public that there are growers and artists in your area.

Not so in mine. Even though we have a good climate. When I mention to people that I do bonsai as a hobby, I generally get blank stares. It's virtually unknown here.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Exactly, Al. The "Asian influence" created an awareness of bonsai in enough of the general public that there are growers and artists in your area.

Not so in mine. Even though we have a good climate. When I mention to people that I do bonsai as a hobby, I generally get blank stares. It's virtually unknown here.
True, but there is just as much Asian Influence on the East coast to make growing profitable. The problem is the huge disparity in what things cost. Plant for plant, what costs 50.00 here, brings 300.00 back east. Read Maria's question again. Her question had to do with availability and price. Not why I have lots of material. Also keep in mind that you key in on one state while California is narrow it could easily be 8 or 9 states as the same area is back east, which would dilute the pool. It's all supply and demand. The supply keeps up with the demand as long as the price stays affordable. California would dry up in a year or two if we had to pay what east coast people had to pay. Don't sell the east coast short, other than price, the east coast could easily become a bastion of bonsai if the price was right. I have been a Iishi's place when Brussel Martin came in during a convention and dropped $10,000.00 in one purchase to fill a trailer to take back home. I also heard that same weekend he took back about the same amount from House of Bonsai. Long story short...(I know too late) the west coast is supplieng the east cost too, your just paying the shit for it! You East coasters, stop buying your trees from California so we can go the way of Georgia....

The way things seem to be going in California, I may being paying for trees with Dinars.

TheSneakyTruth

Seedling
Reaction score
@Smoke

I was referring to the 2 Japanese Maples in this photo you previously attached:
DSC_00141.JPG

Just roughly the trunk thickness at the base above the root flare, and a rough idea of the height. Thanks!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's interesting these 'hotspots' - pardon the pun have cropped up in the states based on climate and growing season and I wonder if Oregon is another California in the making? The concentration of activity there is bound to increase practitioners - demand for raw material means growers can make a reasonable living being based there. Has this happened yet do you feel, could happen in the near future or am I just talking rubbish? I'm interested as I plan to own oregon one day lol - lovely place - or maybe just Portland as I don't want to be greedy and I can watch the Trailblazers :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's interesting these 'hotspots' - pardon the pun have cropped up in the states based on climate and growing season and I wonder if Oregon is another California in the making? The concentration of activity there is bound to increase practitioners - demand for raw material means growers can make a reasonable living being based there. Has this happened yet do you feel, could happen in the near future or am I just talking rubbish? I'm interested as I plan to own oregon one day lol - lovely place - or maybe just Portland as I don't want to be greedy and I can watch the Trailblazers :)
Oregon already has a lot of growers. In fact many of the largest commercial growers in the USA are based in Oregon. Oregon continues to be the fresh cut Xmas tree capital. Pretty much all maples are propagated in Oregon for US consumption. We have Oregon bonsai providing expensive material. Telperion Farms growing stock for bonsai. There is more than enough growing going on there now to supply the meager demands of bonsai as a whole.

I am not versed in the experience of not being able to purchase material as easily as I do. For instance I have a bonsai nursery 1 mile from my house. Glenn who's tree I showed are housed there as well as the regular bonsai nursery trees there before Glenn came. So in the regard I have it very easy. Yes we have conventions here on a yearly basis with garage sales from stands to tools and pots as well as material. As a whole though, there are not alot of growers in California. Maybe 5, 6 tops. Thats not alot compared to the same footprint on the east coast. Consider California roughly starts at Georgia's southern border and runs up to the bottom third of Pennsylvania covering 9 states. I am not familier with east coast growers right on the eastern coast, maybe someone could compile a list.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A

People in my neck of the woods are poor enough and inbreed enough that if you can't shoot it or breed with it or get drunk on it they blow it off and go four-wheeling in manure pits or put salt in their softeners or shop for shiny plastics or beat their worthless children--then its of to TV land.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
People in my neck of the woods are poor enough and inbreed enough that if you can't shoot it or breed with it or get drunk on it they blow it off and go four-wheeling in manure pits or put salt in their softeners or shop for shiny plastics or beat their worthless children--then its of to TV land.
Sounds like paradise.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its a place to live--and probably die--in the meantime, suffer, and moan.
Sounds a lot like here. But we do have forests to go out into. A place that some members here don't get to experience too often. If ever. The great white north.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Smoke, do you remember the year they replaced the regular cast with "cousins"? The blond guy was Beck Cherry's son. Beck was President of the Atlanta Bonsai Society back in the '80s. He had a General Lee parked next to the bonsai garden.

There's a clash of cultures!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Smoke, do you remember the year they replaced the regular cast with "cousins"? The blond guy was Beck Cherry's son. Beck was President of the Atlanta Bonsai Society back in the '80s. He had a General Lee parked next to the bonsai garden.

I remember that!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I only watched the first season, and mostly for the theme song. Waylon Jennings was my hero and he had a house boat on Lake McClure. My parents used to rent a house boat and party with a whole group from Bakersfield. My Dad's best friend was a singer friend of Waylon's. I used to sneak around and gulp the last warm gulps in all the beer cans! I was probably about 14, 15 years old.

Top Bottom