Is there a "bad" Akadama being sold? Or is it a scam?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interesting. I have not noticed turface breaking down. I am thinking what you experienced could be caused by smaller particles sinking to the bottom. But either way, clogging the bottom is not good.
It could be caused by roots of the tree infiltrating and breaking the particles down. I screen all my media, so for certain there weren't any fines going into the pot. I was just finding that the surface of the soil would be bone dry and yet the bottom of the pot it was saturated. I'm not sure it would be a problem if I repotted my trees annually, but some bigger trees go several years between repotting.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It could be caused by roots of the tree infiltrating and breaking the particles down. I screen all my media, so for certain there weren't any fines going into the pot. I was just finding that the surface of the soil would be bone dry and yet the bottom of the pot it was saturated. I'm not sure it would be a problem if I repotted my trees annually, but some bigger trees go several years between repotting.
I did notice that too and thought too dressing would resolve the issue. But it did very little to help retain moisture at the top. Now I only plant seedlings in turface since I repot them annually anyway. Akadama is my main soil for anything in training now.
By the way it seems like the entire US is out of akadama right now...

Top Bottom