Is There A "Too Early" Time, To Wire A Trident Seedling?

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi All,
I planted my Trident seedlings about 2 months ago on tiles in 10" x 10" x 8" deep pond baskets, in a mixture of 40% Pumice, 40% Lava, 20% Mini Pine Bark Nuggets (from Bonsai Jack).
Naturally, they're basically straight sticks right now.
When is the proper time to wire them to get some trunk movement?

Is it safe to put some wire on them now, and closely monitor them so the trunks don't get harmed?
Or should I just let them grow and hope that they develop trunk movement?

I've searched, but haven't found an answer.

Thanks again for all of your help!
BB

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi!
I don't know for sure the right answer for you but I just found an amazing bit of info posted by @markyscott page 4 about half way down has some points that will help you out I'm sure! Now if I can just figure out how to post a link to it (first link for me) Info on developing broadleaf trees

Sweet I think it worked. Super good info there, short overview but full of info :D

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you very much for the information.
I was hesitant on applying wire for a trunk bend this early in its life, as I thought it might hinder the tree’s overall growth.

Thanks Again!
Ben

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Or, as Peter Adam says on his book, you could cover them with a mesh bag, so they are forced to bend naturally without any wire

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke put window screen over some once to make them get all twisty.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you very much for the information.
I was hesitant on applying wire for a trunk bend this early in its life, as I thought it might hinder the tree’s overall growth.

Thanks Again!
Ben
Actually, wiring or any trunk bending does slow them down a bit, at least compared to the seedlings allowed to grow straight up. No big deal in the long run, though.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just watch the wire very carefully. Deciduous tree branches will set in their new position very quickly. Especially something as vigorous as a Trident seedling. The wire may start to cut in before it really looks like it is, a couple weeks with wire on may be all you’ll need. Happy wiring ?.

Top Bottom