Is there an ideal bonsai for the weeping style

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have read past posts on die back and issues with the weeping willow...I'm not sure how well this Tamarix project will go...but if it fizzles...is there an ideal bonsai that one can relatively put into a weeping form?

I really want to do a land water penjing...and wish for a weeping form over the water.

I do appreciate everyone's patience with me...and all my spurtrattic posts. The more I read...the more my gerbil spins on his wheel.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Aren't wisteria used for weeping too?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Have you considered using a weeping willow?

Also Tamarisk comes to mind:

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t3224-tamarisk-bonsai

I am actually rooting a Tamarix/Tamarisk right now. And contemplated the weeping willow since we have one at the lakes edge. But...searching the site...weeping willows can have significant die back...among a lot of other things.

Though...wonder if I would do best with a nursery potted Tamarix verses a root cutting.,or wait and get a larger or this spring...though...they do grow fast. I have that on my side.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Aren't wisteria used for weeping too?

I went to some pictures I took for this one. I don't know if the blooms just naturally weep or if ever they are styled as such. There's a pretty famous Wisteria at the National Arboretum. Here she is before flowering:

GkmWjsM.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Consider cotoneaster. Not naturally weeping, but at least prostrate, wirable, should hold the bends, and ramify convincingly.

From a fellow Aussie owner...who has wisteria growing in the ground...

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's a weeping gingko. You see those all over NYC. There's a weeping cherry and a weeping ume, also.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
There are many species of weeping trees. Other than the ones mentioned already, there are elms, larches, and junipers. I am sure there are more. Junipers make pretty nice and reliable weeping style bonsai. I used to have a few of them. They don't drop branches like willows and tamarix. The cheap "Old Gold" variety of Juniperus chinensis is very good for weeping style. Keep them in deep shade and they will weep naturally. In fact, I might even start another one myself soon. Google images of weeping junipers for ideas.
Good luck!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bougainvillea, pomegranate can be used.
Bonhe

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I second Si Nyguen's recommendation of Juniper's, the juniper procumbens that is used for "Mallsai" - the mass produced "bonsai" sold in shopping malls. That variety can be used for cascades and be made to weep. Juniper horizontalis, "Blue Rug" juniper, and its other cultivars are also a possibility, however, with the J. horizontalis, the hard part will be that the main trunk will have to be wired up, for multiple years, until it forms enough wood to hold its shape. Remove the wire too soon and it will flop down. Nick Lenz famously used J horizontalis to great advantage to create upright trunks with sharply pendant branches.

Don't forget weeping crab apples.

The disecta group of japanese maples are natural weepers.

Chaenomeles, flowering quince, take well to being shaped by wiring, especially the more compact growing cultivars would make a nice weeping tree.

I just started a willow myself. So far no trouble with die back, but I have not had it long.
The tamarix you started is a good choice.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
No, don't cut away anything on such a small tree. Just wire all the branches all the way to the tips, and give them a gentle arc up and then down. A weeping style is good for shohin size trees that are still in training because all the branches are saved. Submit a picture of your little tree so people can help you with it.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Calistemon and melaleuka can also be made. I have started some.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
... to touch on darlene's original point re: die-back on willows (which also affects wisteria), is anyone aware of any tips that help minimize seemingly random die-back on willows and wisteria? (perhaps much more frequent re-potting such as every other winter?)

darlene, weeping rosemary makes for a convincing shohin-sized weeping form (due to the small compact leaf size). however, i believe i read somewhere that rosemary is *also* prone to random branch die-back. :p

cheers,
kite

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
... to touch on darlene's original point re: die-back on willows (which also affects wisteria), is anyone aware of any tips that help minimize seemingly random die-back on willows and wisteria? (perhaps much more frequent re-potting such as every other winter?)

darlene, weeping rosemary makes for a convincing shohin-sized weeping form (due to the small compact leaf size). however, i believe i read somewhere that rosemary is *also* prone to random branch die-back. :p

cheers,
kite

I read one person hadn't dealt with die back on a willow...he felt that it was because he had watered it more frequent. (They like water and aren't to be planted near septics and drain lines.) the mention of 5-10 invested to have weeping branches die back...sounded painful.

I heard that rosemary was difficult to raise...but it will go on my list. I am actually considering having a Tamarix ordered in at my nursery...so I have a decent start at a trunk...verses this cutting I grew roots on. :confused:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I can only guess here but it is my understanding that Weeping Willow has a life span of 20-30 years and Corkscrew Willow somewhere around 15 years. I suspect general care is the reason for dieback coupled with the age of the specimen. Myself I still find them to be a good specimen to work with as well as other shorter lived trees like Purple Plum and Thunderclouds.
I only mention that so people step back a second and find the longevity of any plant they want to work with. It may be that you want sturdier stock that lasts longer or like myself just enjoy as long as you can ;)

Grimmy

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've seen some massive weeping willow (8' Dia.)....They grow that big in 30 years??
Cadillac... did you ever think of using prostrate rosemary. I have 2 of them (from cuttings) over 20 years. They are a little fussy but not as much as most people think. You may have a hard time finding one that suits your needs quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom