Is there any hope for this fukien?

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
I've posted about this before over the past few months. Things have gone from bad to worse. Is this thing dying? I recently dug out about 1/4 of the soil, took my bonsai tool (has a 3-prong 'fork' on the one end) and prodded the soil a bit - thinking some aeration might help if it's not draining well anymore, then added new bonsai soil to fill up what was removed - it did seem after the next watering that it dripped through much better. Also added a bit more fertilizer (balls) (I know this is not suggested during the winter but this plant really seems to be on life support anyway so figured it can't hurt?).

I'd really like to save it somehow. In spring (if there's anything left of it) I was planning on a complete repot / root pruning if needed. What has been happening of late - the past few months actually - are these very short cycles of putting out a good number of new leaves that have very limited growth - very small as seen in the picture, and then within weeks they just shrivel up to nothing. Then more buds emerge, leaf out briefly, then those die out. This used to be quite nice - would put out white flowers - always in full leaf - even during winter. Never like this. Any suggestions appreciated. :(

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0015.jpeg

IMG_0016.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Circling the drain and probably a goner. FT just need more light and humidity than most can provide inside. So they grow a little, leaves dry out and drop, and they try again...each time a little weaker until they can’t. To save it would require some growing lights, a warm, humid spot with good air circulation, and a bit of luck. On a positive note, it doesn’t look like it’s rotting from sitting in water. But you don’t need to mess with the roots or soil right now.

If you’re relegated to growing inside, next time try a ficus. Stay away from FT and Serissa. They’re jut too touchy outside their natural range.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We could guess where you live, but it would be instructive if you provided that info. I'm guessing you live in Ohio. Look out the window. Almost all the trees are without leaves. Not dead, just not growing because the conditions are not up to their standards. FT is zone 10 tree, Miami. The further the tree is from ideal conditions, the poorer it will grow. You can't fool it into growing by feeding it in place of providing suitable light. Treat the tree as though it is dormant and waiting for better growing conditions. Or, buy grow lights to suppliment window light. Don't let it get too dry, and wait for it to respond better as spring nears.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for both replies. I'm in PA - so you got it close! I actually water every day...too much??? One thing is for sure....with whatever is going on with climate change our weather tends so much more to extended days / weeks sometimes of gray, overcast skies than used to be the case even a few years ago, so less light than it should be getting most certainly. Except for summer, I sometimes think we get as many or more drab days as we do clear and sunny.

What about repotting in spring?? Feel like I have to see what's going on with the roots.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Circling the drain and probably a goner. FT just need more light and humidity than most can provide inside. So they grow a little, leaves dry out and drop, and they try again...each time a little weaker until they can’t. To save it would require some growing lights, a warm, humid spot with good air circulation, and a bit of luck. On a positive note, it doesn’t look like it’s rotting from sitting in water. But you don’t need to mess with the roots or soil right now.

If you’re relegated to growing inside, next time try a ficus. Stay away from FT and Serissa. They’re jut too touchy outside their natural range.

Except that it really did quite well for most of the time that I've had it. I don't disbelieve you, but just saying. One thing that may not be good is that it gets moved around quite often. Every time we travel it gets foisted off on either of two family members to take care of - one of whom has rather poor conditions for growing plants to begin with. So it 'travels' whenever we do...perhaps it doesn't like it. I grow many, many houseplants. This bonsai is in a room full of them with excellent light actually - windows on all but the north side - loads of ambient humidity, but I've never had something like this that can't go a week or so without water like all my other plants do.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Except that it really did quite well for most of the time that I've had it. I don't disbelieve you, but just saying. One thing that may not be good is that it gets moved around quite often. Every time we travel it gets foisted off on either of two family members to take care of - one of whom has rather poor conditions for growing plants to begin with. So it 'travels' whenever we do...perhaps it doesn't like it. I grow many, many houseplants. This bonsai is in a room full of them with excellent light actually - windows on all but the north side - loads of ambient humidity, but I've never had something like this that can't go a week or so without water like all my other plants do.
You have multiplied the variables to an unanswerable query. Expect it to respond PDQ to changes in it environment. Touch the medium with your finger, water if dry. The exact amount of water needed will depend upon how much it is using. If it is in the breeze of heat register it could need water everyday in spite of the heat not helping the tree grow. If it was in a sunny window and that was drying it out, it might need water everyday. Otherwise, with the current amount of leaf surface, every third or forth day would be fine.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
I'll start cutting back immediately. I also generally mist it with a spray container...stop that too? You're right...sorry...lots of variables in the overall equation.

Repot in spring??? Or at least take out and examine it?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Different soil means different watering requirements, and yours appears to be mostly inorganic, which means more regular watering. You could put some sphagnum moss on the surface and get an extra day or two...but from your pix, I don’t see obvious signs of overwatering, so maybe save that for your “not green thumb” caregivers.. However, FT definitely doesn’t like being moved around, so that may be complicating things. If you can get it to spring, you may be in luck. I’d definitely not mess with the roots or soil now.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wouldn't cut back anything except for styling purposes now. And cutting back now for styling precludes knowing if your choices are in line with what's going to be alive or dead. Wait until you know what, if any, is dead. There is no reason to think that any part is dead at this time.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Different soil means different watering requirements, and yours appears to be mostly inorganic, which means more regular watering. You could put some sphagnum moss on the surface and get an extra day or two...but from your pix, I don’t see obvious signs of overwatering, so maybe save that for your “not green thumb” caregivers.. However, FT definitely doesn’t like being moved around, so that may be complicating things. If you can get it to spring, you may be in luck. I’d definitely not mess with the roots or soil now.

Ooops...I already did 'mess' with the soil to the extent of digging some out and adding new - didn't take the plant out of the pot though.

greenman63

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I grow and propagate quite a lot of Fukien Tea here in Delray Beach, Fl. It's one of my favorites along with several ficus species for hardiness and relatively quick growth, easy to propagate from cuttings or seed as the case may be. This is a shrub that needs plenty of light and heat, humidity and direct sun as much as possible, as long as the soil doesn't dry out too much for too long. They can take quite a bit of water if they are in sunny, warm conditions, but in colder times back off the water significantly. They'll even thrive in dry, compacted soil for a time, but will do better in a good bonsai medium in the long term. They are susceptible to mite damage and other pests, but with good organic pesticides like neem oil or even just a soapy water spray, you can resolve most if not all bug issues. They are actually quite hardy in their climate. I'm originally from Ohio/Michigan, so I understand the cold and latitude/insolation issues in winter. Previous comments on supplemental lighting/heat are valid, and bear in mind that the temperature near a sunny window in a Northern January is a lot cooler than near the center of the room. Keep her warm and sunlit, and she'll do better. If you must fertilize in winter, do so with a very low nitrogen fertilizer, or just use a very light orchid spray fertilizer once in a while on the leaves. I never give up on a plant until the roots or base of the trunk are dead. They do tend to drop leaves once in a while with seasonal changes or drastic changes, but rarely die unless neglected. Not a bad idea to keep her outside in summer as soon as nighttime temps rise up above 55 consistently and provide a humidity tray if needed, especially in direct sun. No drastic temp or sunlight changes just to be safe. Take a good week to acclimate to new conditions whenever possible. Love those little white flowers, and the berries that germinate so easily! Good luck!

Last edited:

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do have a grow light that I used to use for lots of different plants when I still lived in a small apartment. Unfortunately, it's down in my garage and really have absolutely no room to bring it up in the house (it's quite large - made to hold lots of plants under the standard length florescent tubes. So at this point it might get a bit chilly down in there to put the bonsai under it (unheated garage). I could, however, put the bonsai under other florescent (ceiling) lights in the basement if that might help (?) At this point, things are not looking good. The buds that have emerged seem to be trying but not much is coming out. Each time this short cycle of some leaf development followed by quickly shedding them takes place, it's shorter and shorter with the leaves emerging to a lesser (and smaller) degree. Definitely the worst it has looked, by far, in the 4 years or so that I have it. Has never lost leaves to this extent without regaining them rather quickly.

greenman63

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Right now it's stressed, so give it the best shot you can and hope for the best. There are a lot of good, inexpensive compact LED grow light bulbs that you can buy online. It doesn't take more room than a desk lamp, ultimately, and may make a difference. An electric heat pad under the tray can provide extra warmth, but if you do this, take extra care with the watering. You may consider a small grow tent or plastic terrarium [pretty simple to diy] to hold in warmth and humidity if you can provide enough light. Fluorescent lights can be helpful, but it's not full spectrum light.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Greenman....thanks. I'd certainly like to see it pull through and will look into possibly getting a small grow light or at least a bulb to use with something I already have here. IF we ever get more than 2-3 sunny days within the space of a week once in awhile, that'll help too. Can't believe how many grey, cloudy days we get over the past 2 years or so. Doesn't do the bonsai any good for sure (nor my overall mood for that matter ;o]

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks greenman. Not much change. There are still leaves emerging (actually seems to be more buds developing than had been the case) but then they often don't last very long. A few larger leaves than before also. If we could get a few sunny days in a row now and then it might help the bonsai...but that doesn't seem to happen much anymore. I'm reminded of the movie "Blade Runner" where it rained all the time.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
OK...so here we are in March. I was encouraged by seeing a good number of new leaves come out, but, as I feared, it looks like they're not going to last. Already, some, while having gotten a bit larger than has been the case over the past few months, are starting to brown or just shrivel up. And, most of the branches are still completely bare or else show buds that barely seem to even open.

So, since we're getting closer to spring, would it be advisable to take it out of the pot to see what's going on? Comb the old soil out of the roots (have never done any bonsai repotting yet) and fill in with new soil? Can't see that there's much to lose since it seems the plant surely can't keep going on much longer as is. I'd say no part of it is dead. If I bend the stems, they all seem flexible - unlike obviously dead branches on other sorts of more woody perennials.

One thought, however, is that it will again need to travel to a relative's home for about two weeks within the very near future, so perhaps better to wait till it's back at my place and then work on it?

Last edited:

greenman63

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yes, I'd wait before repotting or root work. Have you fertilized at all? What's your usual regimen for fertilization? Fukien Tea can often look pretty bare even in my garden for weeks at a time. Cold will slow them down, but keep going along this path and I feel like you'll see some improvement as the weather gets warmer. You may want to do a neem oil and soap drench to address any possible mites or fungus problems. This most likely will not harm your plant, and if there are any issues with the roots in the short term, it may buy you some time and provide a kickstart to your FT's apparent plateau. I can't swear this will do anything, so proceed as you see fit. I've never had a bad result from this, but individual results may vary (usual disclaimer).

This is my procedure:
Next time the tree is ready to be watered, just water normally to get the soil completely wet. Next, in a 32 oz spray bottle, add about 2 oz oil soap, 6 oz virgin, unrefined neem oil, top off with warm water and shake to mix. You can also replace about 1 to 2 oz of the water with a good quality, general purpose liquid fertilizer, preferably low nitrogen. Spray this mixture to wet all parts of the plant, especially the underside of leaves, buds and trunk/stems. Use the remaining mix in the bottle to carefully and thoroughly drench the soil, making sure that all roots get soaked, but allow to drain normally. Depending on the size of the pot, it may not be necessary to use the entire mixture to drench the soil. As long as the soil is completely drenched, any remaining mix can be used for other specimens. This is a good mix to address fungus, mites, whitefly and other pests both below and above the soil. This treatment can sometimes make a huge difference in the health of a plant, in my experience.

I'd like for anyone else to chime in with their opinions on this recipe or anything else. I'm always open to criticism, especially if there's anything better, or if there are any cautionary points to be made.

I do not get any commercial, financial or other consideration for these sites. I post them only for your convenience. Good luck!

This is where I get most of my oils for insecticidal purposes. I also use peppermint, cedar, clove and orange oils, among others for a real knockout punch against all sorts of pests. There are many other sources.

greenman63

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Clarification: The second website I posted is not for buying in bulk, and they apparently don't offer neem oil and a few other useful ones.

This is their bulk purchase website, actually very reasonable prices for larger sized bottles and a greater variety of oils.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Greenman...thanks for so much info and advice! From what you're saying, probably best to hold off on removing from the pot / root work, etc. till after it's back at our place since it doesn't seem to take too well to traveling. I'm noticing more leaves than has been the case over the past few months. I'm also attaching a picture showing where the bonsai usually is. It had been between two windows and thus sort of hidden by a strip of wall. Where I have it now it receives more direct light. The window is a southern exposure in a room full of plants. Let me know what you think. It's certainly not going to win any awards but hopefully it's not dying either. It's deceiving since someone not familiar with how it's been doing could look at this and say it's fine due to all the new buds, etc. but, as I mentioned before, what has been happening is that the leaves come out and then sort of shrivel up after a short time. Some of these leaves (on the left side) are some of the largest that the plant has developed since probably the early part of winter. The pictures make them appear a bit more yellowish than they really are.

IMG_0154.jpegIMG_0155.jpegIMG_0156.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom