Is there any special brand / type of soil I should buy for repotting my fukien tea?

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Hi,

I've come across various brands but thought perhaps there may be a specific recommendation? Thanks...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Rather than brands, focus on what is in the brand.

And rather than tell you what it should be... why don't you say what you think would be best for the tree, and we will confirm or correct you. It is the best way to learn :)

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Hmmm..feel like I'm back in a classroom.....ok....let's say this one then....by a company called "Tinyroots" (gets good reviews on Amazon anyway)..Tropical Bonsai Tree Soil Blend Two Quarts From Tinyroots. 100% Organic. For Ficus, Fukien Tea, Buttonwood, Dwarf Jade & other Tropical varieties. FRIT, Mineral Additives, Perfect For Healthy Bonsai Growth

The Tinyroots sounds as good as any. I didn't provide an actual link to the product since I didn't know if that is appropriate on the forum. There is also bonsai soil sold by Hoffman. I've always usually used their vermiculite for my houseplants.

So now I await the 'confirm or correct' notification.... :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So now I await the 'confirm or correct' notification.... :)

LOL... I'm just trying to suggest that if you know what you are trying to achieve, you can make your own! Sure a branded soil product may work, but just make sure you know what you are looking for first... No one mix will work well for all trees and conditions; you will want to adjust based on your situation.

There will always be a mass of different suggestions when it comes to soil mixes, but generally you want:
(1) Mostly inorganic - doesn't break down and allows air and water to freely circulate.
(2) Correct piece size. Not too small, like sand, and not to large, like large pebbles. The larger the tree, the larger piece size you can go with. Gauge by the size of your pot and how quickly the soil dries out.
(3) Absorptive material - like calcined clay, pumice, lava - which absorbs water and releases it slowly.
(4) In the case of tropicals, they seem to do better with a little organic in the mix (no more than 25%) but make sure the material is not fine (like potting soil). Use sifted pine bark or rough cut peat.

Most people when they first start in bonsai think they want their soil to look like potting soil. Nothing is worse for a tree in a container.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Lance....thanks. Same one I came across. I'll go with it.

LOL... I'm just trying to suggest that if you know what you are trying to achieve,

.....trying to keep it alive and growing as best I can without doing a whole lot of research on it...I'm not really any sort of bonsai hobbyist.

you can make your own!

......I'm sure...but not interested in doing that, but thanks for all the info.

Sure a branded soil product may work, but just make sure you know what you are looking for first... No one mix will work well for all trees and conditions; you will want to adjust based on your situation.

There will always be a mass of different suggestions when it comes to soil mixes, but generally you want:
(1) Mostly inorganic - doesn't break down and allows air and water to freely circulate.
(2) Correct piece size. Not too small, like sand, and not to large, like large pebbles. The larger the tree, the larger piece size you can go with. Gauge by the size of your pot and how quickly the soil dries out.
(3) Absorptive material - like calcined clay, pumice, lava - which absorbs water and releases it slowly.
(4) In the case of tropicals, they seem to do better with a little organic in the mix (no more than 25%) but make sure the material is not fine (like potting soil). Use sifted pine bark or rough cut peat.

Most people when they first start in bonsai think they want their soil to look like potting soil. Nothing is worse for a tree in a container.

Top Bottom