Is there any type of bonsai that only requires watering once a week or so?

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
I'm thinking probably not. One of the issues causing problems with my fukien tea over the past 3 years has been - from what I'm told here - transporting it to different relatives while I'm away on vacations. I have successfully grown houseplants for over 30 years, but they all only need watering every 7-9 days for the most part.

I was always afraid to leave the bonsai unattended even for a few days, and so always gave it to someone to take care of. My one relative has very poor indoor humidity, so that didn't help matters.

Any suggestions? I've always wanted to grow one of these, and the fukien was a gift 3 years ago. I was so happy to have it, but then it became a fairly regular struggle between dropping leaves, regaining, dropping again, etc. I never knew if I was watering too much or too little. It did have stretches - for weeks at a time even - when it did really well and so I figured I was getting the hang of it, but then it would take a turn for the worst. It feels so unfulfilling for a first time experience, especially given my level of comfort working with many different types of plants.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
“Dwarf Jade” portulacaria afra.

But it depends on your location, and where the tree will be (how much light)

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Interesting...related to the common crassula ovata jade plant? If it is....then, yeah, that could easily go a week between waterings. Is this recommended for indoor or outdoor. I've grown crassula in my sunroom for decades.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here's a Fig in my den, 35" tall above the pot which is a jardiniere. It is a houseplant and is watered once a week most of the year, but faces this east window that has good morning sun in spring so I water it every 5 days or so in spring. It's this size because I want it bigger (taller) than a typical bonsai. I have a couple other large leaf figs as houseplants, too, with the same approximate treatment.
20200423_220516.jpg20200423_220540.jpg
It has a slightly variegated edge that would be more so if it had more light.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just consider a much bigger pot. More soil....more moisture for longer. Not a big thing. Look at old paintings of Japanese bonsai. Some were in much bigger pots than we use now.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Interesting...related to the common crassula ovata jade plant? If it is....then, yeah, that could easily go a week between waterings. Is this recommended for indoor or outdoor. I've grown crassula in my sunroom for decades.

Its not a crassula, even though they are both called jade commonly.

The portulacaria is more “bonsai-ish” because it ramifies well and is pretty durable.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm thinking probably not. One of the issues causing problems with my fukien tea over the past 3 years has been - from what I'm told here - transporting it to different relatives while I'm away on vacations. I have successfully grown houseplants for over 30 years, but they all only need watering every 7-9 days for the most part.

I was always afraid to leave the bonsai unattended even for a few days, and so always gave it to someone to take care of. My one relative has very poor indoor humidity, so that didn't help matters.

Any suggestions? I've always wanted to grow one of these, and the fukien was a gift 3 years ago. I was so happy to have it, but then it became a fairly regular struggle between dropping leaves, regaining, dropping again, etc. I never knew if I was watering too much or too little. It did have stretches - for weeks at a time even - when it did really well and so I figured I was getting the hang of it, but then it would take a turn for the worst. It feels so unfulfilling for a first time experience, especially given my level of comfort working with many different types of plants.
I used to think watering once a week was normal!

This is because I was using 100% DE in deep pond baskets and my plants in full sun are pomegranate and poinsettias. Poinsettias like the soil to dry out before rewatering. Pomegranates seem to prefer periodic drought. I water my pomegranate once per two weeks sometimes. I'm sure in summer this will change but so far it has not.

Attachments

• 20190915_145253.jpg
    20190915_145253.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190915_145325.jpg
    20190915_145325.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 46

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score

I routinely only water the inside plants (including bonsai) once a week. Just want to make sure I mention that I do use part organic in my mix (about 30 percent). I hardly have any bonsai that is in pure inorganic soil. I'm not saying that is good or bad lest I start a soil war. That's just what I was trained to do by my mentors.

Bonzeye

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone have any experience using the blumat carrots for bonsai?

I know a lot of people swear by it for growing indoor/outdoor cannabis but I’m not sure how well it would work for bonsai. No power cords or anything needed. Just hang a water tank a few feet higher than your plant and hook up the carrot and you’re good to go.

Attachments

• C56DB9B0-1918-445F-93AA-4185D989BAEE.png
    C56DB9B0-1918-445F-93AA-4185D989BAEE.png
    133 KB · Views: 38

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
I concur! This guy is hanging outside right now but could go in.
View attachment 298066
Randy...that is some awesome jade there! I see lots of other bonsai in the background as well. Thanks to everyone for so many replies. I'm encouraged to forge ahead with something else in the wake of (what appears to be) the loss of the fukien. Guess I'll still hang in there for the warmer weather if indeed there is any life left to emerge from it. I don't give up easily, but likely little chance I suppose. I like the idea of any of the ones that have been mentioned. If I decide on a larger species, only problem is...one of my existing larger plants has to go. I have no room left in my sunroom!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Over potting is one option. Using a mix more akin to a potting soil is another. And of course there are always watering systems like wicks and water reservoirs. I have been using wicks for plants inside for a couple years now to great effect and I have had no problems as long as I keep the reservoir topped off. I also have some drip emitter that you screw a bottle onto and plunge into the soil. They have a little knob to regulate flow. I think I got mine on Amazon.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Its not a crassula, even though they are both called jade commonly.

The portulacaria is more “bonsai-ish” because it ramifies well and is pretty durable.

I've always liked the jades with the smaller leaves. Interesting, too, that the partial term "portulaca" is part of the description. I've grown those as annuals already.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Here's a Fig in my den, 35" tall above the pot which is a jardiniere. It is a houseplant and is watered once a week most of the year, but faces this east window that has good morning sun in spring so I water it every 5 days or so in spring. It's this size because I want it bigger (taller) than a typical bonsai. I have a couple other large leaf figs as houseplants, too, with the same approximate treatment.
View attachment 298060View attachment 298061
It has a slightly variegated edge that would be more so if it had more light.

Am I seeing framed pictures of some sort of bonsai club awards???

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Over potting is one option. Using a mix more akin to a potting soil is another. And of course there are always watering systems like wicks and water reservoirs. I have been using wicks for plants inside for a couple years now to great effect and I have had no problems as long as I keep the reservoir topped off. I also have some drip emitter that you screw a bottle onto and plunge into the soil. They have a little knob to regulate flow. I think I got mine on Amazon.

Speaking of watering systems...any thoughts as to deep-watering bonsai as opposed to from the top? After I repotted the fukien (which maybe should not have even been done) I read somewhere that it should be deep watered immediately following the repot with new soil.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
So the general take on all this -relative to the original thread topic - is that if I stay with the smaller pot idea (the fukien came in a pot around 7-8 inches long by about 5 inches deep), I'm pretty much stuck with watering every few days. I can see already that if I really start getting into this I have to weed out a few plants to clear some space.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not too wild about jades and Portulacaria afra (this is proper name for mini jade, portulaca is an entirely different plant that is used as an annual) is much better, but there are also several euphorbia that will work. I have a couple from Madagascar that is lovely plants but grow exceedingly slow. Also, hard to find, but there are a few Boswellia that will work. One of my favorites is the elephant bush, Operculicarya decaryi. It is tolerant of extreme neglect but get used to inverse taper. The trunk is knobby like an elephants skin so I can accept the inverse taper.

Top Bottom