Is there anything that you can/should do when the top of an airlayer starts to go south?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The top of this gingko is obviously not happy. Is there anything I can do (or should have done)?

IMG_20200702_080924.jpg

Under the covers, I see nubs of roots starting, but not much else.

IMG_20200626_084218.jpg

Thanks for any pointers.

More info:

I actually started this as a @sorce radialayer, but encountered at least three problems with it. My bonsai mix in the container was staying too dry. The moss also didn't seem secure enough against the trunk. And worst of all, the container had become a literal hotel for earwigs, who like to eat any new growth they can find.

So I started over with the traditional approach, making a new cut just above the old one. I'm sure that didn't help.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'd consider moving it to a more shaded and wind protected location, as well as misting it frequently. With that being said, I'd also be expecting a not so great outcome... how long since doing the deed?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd consider moving it to a more shaded and wind protected location, as well as misting it frequently. With that being said, I'd also be expecting a not so great outcome... how long since doing the deed?
Good idea, thanks. It's been roughly two months from the original deed, and about one month from the revised deed.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Check the trunk section immediately below your air layer. It likely rotted and killed off everything above it. Its a fairly common fail mode of air layers from too much moisture or bad luck.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If it turns out to be rotten, don't hesitate to just clip it off and jam it in some dirt. Keep it there until next spring, even if it looks dead.
I've had ginkgo's root after a winter in the dirt. Don't ask me how, don't ask me why, but they seem to do it sometimes.
No guarantees, but it's a higher chance of saving it than the burn pile ;-)

vedecx

Yamadori
Reaction score
Clearly you need to make sure you take the bottom down south as well or you'll end up with a very long tree...

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Mikecheck123
For what it's worth, with all of my successful air layers, I've always noticed a color change with the foliage during the process. I've never tried gingko before though.

I think as long as the leaves stay turgid, everything is good to go.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Isn't that a lot of upper foliage to be carried by a developing air layer?
I've air layered but not with a lot of tree above the layering.

vedecx

Yamadori
Reaction score
You can air layer fairly large sections of trees. It will depend on the tree. Someone (think its Nick Lenz?, ) wrote that Larches in effect layer themselves when growing in peatlands. The tree may only look 3 feet tall, but those are only the top most roots. The tree's original roots are 20 feet below in the muck...

cj16

Seed
Reaction score
The top of this gingko is obviously not happy. Is there anything I can do (or should have done)?

View attachment 313095

Under the covers, I see nubs of roots starting, but not much else.

View attachment 313096

Thanks for any pointers.

More info:

I actually started this as a @sorce radialayer, but encountered at least three problems with it. My bonsai mix in the container was staying too dry. The moss also didn't seem secure enough against the trunk. And worst of all, the container had become a literal hotel for earwigs, who like to eat any new growth they can find.

So I started over with the traditional approach, making a new cut just above the old one. I'm sure that didn't help.
Thanks for posting this. My airlayered gingko is doing the same thing. Leaves turning yellow, callous at the site. Is the callous a detriment, or is it part of the process? I shaved it to try to stimulate root activity and reapplied moss. The trunk looks fine.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for posting this. My airlayered gingko is doing the same thing. Leaves turning yellow, callous at the site. Is the callous a detriment, or is it part of the process? I shaved it to try to stimulate root activity and reapplied moss. The trunk looks fine.
Mine was dead as a doornail.

Top Bottom