Is there interest in an "ignore content" user function?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Absolutely a waste of time and money imho. How difficult is it to close a thread if its not what you are looking for?
I think it amounts to pandering to people's whims. If the buyer is to beware, so the looker should be.

On a side note, I frequently will pass over a thread by the title or by the first words which appear when you scroll over a title.
But, I have also been drawn into places I would not have gone and been delighted when I got there.
I agree...def not free market principles. Weak mindsets if youre to block what you dont agree w or want to see on a gardening hobby message board. In the least it doesnt translate to a functioning society or personal growth.

To each their own :)

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It seems that many on this thread are not seeing what would be the true utility of this function. It’s not like the ‘ignore member’ function, which people use when they are offended, or exasperated by an individual (which I don’t use, by the way). It’s to help insure that you don’t miss threads that you’re truly interested in. Sure, you don’t have to open threads you’re not interested in, but they’re still taking up space on the front page, potentially pushing more interesting threads deeper in the list. You might end up not flipping that far back and miss something you would like to have seen. It happens all the time. How often do you see someone writing “I can’t believe I haven’t seen this thread before.” I would find it useful, but it’s not worth spending a lot of money on.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems that many on this thread are not seeing what would be the true utility of this function. It’s not like the ‘ignore member’ function, which people use when they are offended, or exasperated by an individual (which I don’t use, by the way). It’s to help insure that you don’t miss threads that you’re truly interested in. Sure, you don’t have to open threads you’re not interested in, but they’re still taking up space on the front page, potentially pushing more interesting threads deeper in the list. You might end up not flipping that far back and miss something you would like to have seen. It happens all the time. How often do you see someone writing “I can’t believe I haven’t seen this thread before.” I would find it useful, but it’s not worth spending a lot of money on.
But how much work would you have to put all these other threads on ignore?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

The old saying goes, if you snooze you lose.
Personally never used the feature

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If we aren't strong enough to just avoid a thread. Then that's on us. Ignore keeps those which bring drama...off my wall. So I don't see a reason needing to change anything. Especially if it will cost money. People if they can't use the ignore to remove trigger members to them. They certainly won't use this other option.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
But how much work would you have to put all these other threads on ignore?
Well, I wouldn’t approach it as a constant housekeeping task. But there are some very long-lived threads that I never open, including some that I may have read in the past that no longer interest me.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But there are some very long-lived threads that I never open, including some that I may have read in the past that no longer interest me.
This is the case for anyone who has been here for any time. I just keep scrolling. Doesn't bother me at all. I know the posts I am not interested in, including the ones I have visited, are there for a reason. Be thankful you have a choice. There is nothing wrong with your wanting to circumvent an issue, but there is no harm in it being there either.
If you go to buy a new toaster, there are several on the shelves. You don't need to open every box.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would ignore an ignore button :

When I connect, I first read the "new alerts", then scroll down the "unread messages" and select those that I think of interest to me - what I can learn, what I feel I can help with. Even the messages from those with whom I had an argument ;)

As long as the topic is interesting, I'm interested. I can always learn or discover something, even change my mind if people put forward sound arguments.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This is the case for anyone who has been here for any time. I just keep scrolling. Doesn't bother me at all. I know the posts I am not interested in, including the ones I have visited, are there for a reason. Be thankful you have a choice. There is nothing wrong with your wanting to circumvent an issue, but there is no harm in it being there either.
If you go to buy a new toaster, there are several on the shelves. You don't need to open every box.
concepts of freedom of speech along with enterprise there

Top Bottom