Is there still any hope for my bonsai? Please help!

katiekatie24

Seedling
Reaction score
@August44 , it's relative to the needs of the tree of course, but @leus is correct in what I mean. You don't wait for the stick to get completely dry, just to the point where you know the tree needs water. It's just a manual indicator of soil conditions that disturbs the soil as little as possible. How dry to let it get is of course a matter of the tree and other conditions, but I've learned more about caring for my tree from this one trick than almost anything else. You can see soil moisture, mycorrhizae growth, soil texture, everything, just by checking the stick.

@katiekatie24 , you can absolutely regrow the tree from a stump! It's a common intentional practice, actually. As is leaving dead wood on the tree to give the impression of age and weathering.
You are right about it taking years, though. Use the search function in the upper right-hand corner of the page, and you'll find some great examples, and get an idea of just how long.

If you add a general location to your profile, we can help you come up with some ideas of how to care for it best, and maybe even find you something else better suited to your situation. You can be as vague as country and growing zone; no need to tell anyone how best to stalk you as you leave for work. LoL

Edit: Just now realized you did add that you're in the UK to your profile.
Don't mind me, I'm just the resident crackpot.
Thanks!

Yes, I've added the location. I have done quite a lot of searching but bit stuck for ideas and could not find much on chinese elms. I searched about deadwood features as well and I really like the look of it. However again, mostly found things on different trees like juniper. Seen a few tanuki bonsai and they do look very cool but I realise elm would not look alike since it's different wood.

Looking at the top of the tree where the dead part is, it has a blunt end to the trunk which makes me think perhaps it was cut down before.

Not sure if it's best to leave the tree and the shots to grow out a bit ( they getting pretty long now) or to cut it down at this point and if so how much... I would like to keep some of the dead part as deadwood feature to style later but I guess can't keep it all lol.

Any thoughts, advice or inspiration? 😄

Attachments

• 20230302_202356.jpg
    20230302_202356.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 27

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Starting over is not all bad.
If you can keep it happy grow those low shoots like crazy, you’ll have a nice fatty base to work with.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks!

Yes, I've added the location. I have done quite a lot of searching but bit stuck for ideas and could not find much on chinese elms. I searched about deadwood features as well and I really like the look of it. However again, mostly found things on different trees like juniper. Seen a few tanuki bonsai and they do look very cool but I realise elm would not look alike since it's different wood.

Looking at the top of the tree where the dead part is, it has a blunt end to the trunk which makes me think perhaps it was cut down before.

Not sure if it's best to leave the tree and the shots to grow out a bit ( they getting pretty long now) or to cut it down at this point and if so how much... I would like to keep some of the dead part as deadwood feature to style later but I guess can't keep it all lol.

Any thoughts, advice or inspiration? 😄
Given that it's just recovered from some serious stress, I'd suggest just leaving it alone all season, build it's strength back up. Let it go crazy, and save your big decisions for autumn.

Otherwise, it's an elm so go for broke!
Elms of any sort can take allot of punishment, so you'll never get bored. I HAVE killed them by giving them too much in one season, though, so keep that in mind.

Top Bottom