Is this 20 year old jade worth my time?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a dilemma, there is this beautiful jade tree just about at 20 years old 55 inches high and 55 inches wide where is approximately 200 pounds. Now my question is what are these things worth? Considering it is a BIG beautiful tree well multiple but I would be bending over backwards to get this jade.

Is it worth it?
I think so and I'm going to pick up today for 35 bucks.

Replys would be great.

Thanks,
TimScreenshot_2017-10-26-09-02-21-1.png

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I’d say it’s worth 35$! Jades are not my favorite but for that, I’d take it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've got a couple that are twice that size in my yard :)

We have had animated discussions on this site about whether jade can effectively be made into bonsai. I have been tentatively convinced, particularly after seeing some of Frank Yee's cork bark ones. However at the end of the day it IS a succulent, with all of the positives and negatives of being one.

Is it worth $35? Heck yeah - just as a container plant. Not so sure about it as a bonsai however.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Jade was one of the trees that actually made me want to start in bonsai. My grandmother had a tree she had started from a cutting. By the time I came around it was probably 20+ years old. It was about 3' tall with a great layer of moss growing on the surface of the soil. It really looked like a little tree.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now my question is what are these things worth?

A 35 year old 200 - 250 pound potted that is old enough to Flower sells for just under 2000.00USD here. I understand much less down South for obvious reasons. Just having it, not as a Bonsai but a gnarly House plant it is still a good deal.

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A 35 year old 200 - 250 pound potted that is old enough to Flower sells for just under 2000.00USD here. I understand much less down South for obvious reasons. Just having it, not as a Bonsai but a gnarly House plant it is still a good deal.

Grimmy
I knew it was worth more than 35 I did some research and little ones go for about a hundred, anyhow grim they flower? I'm gonna have to look that one up.

Thanks guys.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Frank Yee's cork bark ones
For clarity, those are the smaller leaf Portulacaria and not Crassula like one pictured above. And don’t forget the late James Smith’s work with P. afra’s in Florida, true masterpieces! But $35 for that monster, sure!

Here’s mine flowering, they are usually bloomed by end of Nov. I always assumed outdoor SoCal conditions of shorter days and cooler nights induced flowering.
AF156AB1-3840-4067-B0C7-176382A6B1B7.jpeg

And @GrimLore , $2000?! Here is one of mine, the BIN price is only $1500! Lol! I think we need to go into business together, I’m loading up a truck and heading your way!A54184C0-3B0B-4F7E-9868-C38790635921.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
1500 whoa these are prices I like to see.. Beautiful jade btw, as for the flowering I never knew that but also I am kid of confused by the statement above, is the picture I posted the flowering type? The little flowers are pretty neat they look like the little flowers on my ming tree. They are a little odd though, I chopped and have had the tree for months now and they are white still idk I have looked at pics of ming trees online and never found one with little flowers.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
1500 whoa these are prices I like to see.. Beautiful jade btw, as for the flowering I never knew that but also I am kid of confused by the statement above, is the picture I posted the flowering type? The little flowers are pretty neat they look like the little flowers on my ming tree. They are a little odd though, I chopped and have had the tree for months now and they are white still idk I have looked at pics of ming trees online and never found one with little flowers.
I assume they all flower under the right conditions. I didn’t know they flowered either, until moving to SoCal. I doubt they flower indoors, light and temp would be tough to get right. But maybe somebody can prove me wrong. It’s worth noting that mine are budding now and we haven’t had night lows below 50F, so shorter days might the more important factor. Keeping it dry probably also helps.

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a dilemma, there is this beautiful jade tree just about at 20 years old 55 inches high and 55 inches wide where is approximately 200 pounds. Now my question is what are these things worth? Considering it is a BIG beautiful tree well multiple but I would be bending over backwards to get this jade.

Is it worth it?
I think so and I'm going to pick up today for 35 bucks.

Replys would be great.

Thanks,
TimView attachment 165065
You could cut this up and make hundreds of dollars worth of these. As long as you actually like jade, this is a steal at $35. Hidden under all of that foliage is bound to be some trunks you can use. The nice thing is, practically every thing you cut off will root, and these do ramify and scale down over time if you prune them regularly.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Take this as you wish. If you dont think its worth that much money, $35 for 20 years, or a dollar fifty per year of growth, then save it for someone else who would appreciate it instead. Don't just buy because of cheap. You still have to look at it for the next 20 years. My practice wife was cheap. Until the divorce.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
How in the world do these sell for so much? I had a large Crassula for years and couldn't give away cuttings. I finally tossed mine out this fall as no one wanted the thing.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How in the world do these sell for so much? I had a large Crassula for years and couldn't give away cuttings. I finally tossed mine out this fall as no one wanted the thing.

The one I pictured in bloom is at least 5 foot wide and 3 1/2 foot tall, perhaps larger. At that size they are often sold to Medical facilities, Law firms, Banks, etc... as a live decorative for the Foyer or Window. At that size they can demand a lot of money up North, even more delivered. Delivery alone is normally 1/2 of the selling price, same as with large landscape trees.
Funny I know as it is a Jade but understandable. Crystal has two in the same pot on a windowsill in the Foyer, started from that big one at 4 inches. Five years later it fills up the 28 inch or so sill which is 18 inches deep.

Grimmy

Top Bottom