Is this a bud?

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello All, I had cut one of the Scot pine branch into the last years branch, beyond the candle that was formed this year.

Just trying to experiment out. I had read a thread here where they even talked about trimming down even till the oldest live needles, which would be on about three years old branch and still expect a new bud to form there if the tree is healthy and done in fall.

I know this is a little less likely to form bud compared to what is done in typical pinching.

I thought of trying first with just one year old branch and the next year I would try with two and three year old branch.

This year I was a little late in pruning this branch. It was almost end of growing season and so the bud is not so big yet.

Do you think this is a bud or something else.6BC3E015-428A-462E-A2C8-521A6C317A83.jpeg

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hard to tell from the photo. Usually adventitious buds appear between the needles of a fascicle, not above them.
Are the other buds also red on the terminals, or are they white?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The orientation and location make me think it's a coccoon of some animal.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
It is not a bug since it has been there for a long time now. If it was a bug, it would have gone by now. It has become a little bigger. It could be a cocoon because cocoon also tend to be stuck at their place. It I nudge it a little with a straw, it does not move.

Looks like it's hard to identify as no one has seen something like this. Only time will tell it seems.

It's external structure does look like a bud though.

Top Bottom