Is this A. Buergerianum or A. Discolor?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They are happy enough, getting ready to go to bed for the year!

To me, the colour they display look more like discolor, but that doesnt mean much (soil, exposure, temps, etc.).

The discolor I have had very similar leaves when young, now that one of them is about 1m80 tall (6 feet), the leaves are a bit larger than those of A. buergerianum and have longer internodes. I have a 10 feet tall Buerger in the back of my garden, so it's not only because of the soil/container, etc. The internodes and the leaves on a "mature" Acer Buergerianum are smaller.

I've just been to the backgarden and taken some photos comparing the big buerger in the ground and a potted discolor. Of course, the Buerger in the soil and in mosly shade can keep green longer, whereas the discolor is potted, and begins to be rootbound. But you can see some differences between the two :

- The lobes od A. b. are oten slightly serrated
- The lobes of A. d. are not. You can even see a characteristic of some of the leaves : they are un-lobed :

acerb00_201023a.jpg

acer-discolor_201023a.jpg

Of course, another hint is that the bark of A.d. doesn't flake out, but that's something you can see only after years.

Top Bottom