is this a chojubai? (thinking about buying it)

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was offered this tree... is it a chojubai? How can I recognize one from a regular quince?

10536453_1453307131612365_2580660392267019532_o.jpg

Attachments

• 10536453_1453307131612365_2580660392267019532_o.jpg
    10536453_1453307131612365_2580660392267019532_o.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 20

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It has the rougher, gray bark of a cho...and the blooms seem about right. Also it's growth habit is not much like a Japanese quince common variety. So I'd say it is.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
what is the max amount you think a plant like that is worth?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Max,

It's impossible for anyone to give you a meaningful answer to your question as to value.

So much depends upon your local market.

The question should be if you think the price is fair. If you think the price is fair, buy it and be happy. If you think it's overpriced, then don't buy it.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Max,

It's impossible for anyone to give you a meaningful answer to your question as to value.

So much depends upon your local market.

The question should be if you think the price is fair. If you think the price is fair, buy it and be happy. If you think it's overpriced, then don't buy it.

I think he is going to ask like 200 bucks... I have to make an offer.
200 seems like too much.

I see a lot of chojubi on ebay for like 100 for something smaller. So maybe the price is right, but seems overpriced for me...

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
red chojubai leaves are quite small in difference to the white and now the new orange. Much bigger leaves and coarser looking on the last two. After you've had chojubai for awhile you can easily tell the difference in leaf shape from other flowering quince.
$200. doesn't seem out of line to me but offer what you can that you think fair. I'm downsizing and held a bonsai sale saturday. One person stole a japanese maple because they did make an offer and i was anxious to cut numbers. Another person kept saying they didn't want to insult me and never made an offer. I still have that maple forrest....:)

I love chojubai

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think he is going to ask like 200 bucks... I have to make an offer.
200 seems like too much.

Too me that sounds like a fair price based on what I have access to (which is basically online US sellers). As always, reasonable price is what you are (personally) willing to pay for it. ;)

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think I might make him an offer...

These reproduce easily as cuttings right? I might be able to make the purchase back in the short run.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
These reproduce easily as cuttings right?

I'd assume Chojubai will be much cheaper if this is the case but I may be mistaken.

Do save all your cuttings and try! You have nothing to lose. Even if they take, note that they are slow growing so it will take time before they will be sell-able.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry, double post. I have no idea how that happened.

Chojubai are very popular right now. They're a fad. Will they be as popular 10 years from now when the cuttings will be large enough to sell? Who knows?

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a nice little specimen, but is it $200 worth of nice? Only you can decide, but based on the prices I've been seeing for less developed material...$200 is not out of line. Or, as Adair implies...wait until the fad runs its course and maybe you'll get a better deal.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don b has been selling these of late at prices that seem comparable. They are hot right now.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Don b has been selling these of late at prices that seem comparable. They are hot right now.

but still 300 bucks is way more expensive than any other tree with the same amount of years and work.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
but still 300 bucks is way more expensive than any other tree with the same amount of years and work.

There are a LOT of "other" Quince out there at FAR better pricing. It might be a better idea to get one of the less expensive and learn it for a few seasons before spending big dollars on one anyways. I ALWAYS spend a few years on less expensive version to learn it and if they die it does not matter much.

Grimmy

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Find someone who has one and ask to take a few cuttings :)

If you lived closer, I'd let you do that :)

Top Bottom