Is this a ficus?

BonRy_an

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7C
Just bought a new mallsai, and I think it is a ficus but I am not sure.

Thanks.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
definitely a Ficus. If it were mine, I'd remove the rocks, moss and tag. have fun.

BonRy_an

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7C
definitely a Ficus. If it were mine, I'd remove the rocks, moss and tag. have fun.

I was unsure with what type of tree I was dealing with, and wanted to make sure before re-potting to have the best soil environment for it :D

It is now at home, and happy re-potted.

When I re-potted it sadly it barely had any root growth (or it had recently been re-potted and cut back) so I just left it alone.
The root ball was smaller than a couple can of altoids stacked together, and it had only 1-2 big roots (looked like they may have been important ones)
hanging down so I left it be.

I was pretty surprised at the small amount of roots.

Last edited:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I picked up two almost identical ficus microcarpa a couple of days ago. It's one of the newer threads in the tropicals section. Like yours, mine had very little roots. I repotted into new containers with bonsai soil. The roots will grow like weeds once they get outside for the late spring and summer.

BonRy_an

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7C
I picked up two almost identical ficus microcarpa a couple of days ago. It's one of the newer threads in the tropicals section. Like yours, mine had very little roots. I repotted into new containers with bonsai soil. The roots will grow like weeds once they get outside for the late spring and summer.

That is where it is right now. Last few weeks have been crazy with the weather though.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
I was unsure with what type of tree I was dealing with, and wanted to make sure before re-potting to have the best soil environment for it :D

It is now at home, and happy re-potted.

When I re-potted it sadly it barely had any root growth (or it had recently been re-potted and cut back) so I just left it alone.
The root ball was smaller than a couple can of altoids stacked together, and it had only 1-2 big roots (looked like they may have been important ones)
hanging down so I left it be.

I was pretty surprised at the small amount of roots.

Exact same scenario today. $10 at wallyworld for the tiger bark and said WTHeck so i grabben it and repotted. Waterlogged soil and no roots. Lets hope it makes it LOL.

Duhend

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I picked up and juniper and a ginger root ficus from the Mart was well. I was extremely supprised to see both were potted in complete soil versus the usual glued rocks over moss.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is where it is right now. Last few weeks have been crazy with the weather though.

Same here. It went from upper 30s to 60s, then a day of 80 degree weather, then back down to wavering between the 40s and 50s. Last night it got into the upper 30s again. I don't think I'll ever see a regular spring here again.

Top Bottom