Is this a Kingsville Boxwood? Help me pick a pot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Been reading and seeing Kingsville is often used and sometimes not accurate. The leaves seem correct. Also looking to repot this this year, any size/color pot suggestions? How low can I go pot wise?

PXL_20230211_154817639.jpg

DSC_1462.JPG

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It might be Morris midget, too - very similar. I like the oval idea, eventually heading towards shallow. Great trunk on that tree - lot of character.

B

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not a Kingsville. Kingsville leaves are tiny. This looks like a common or Japanese Boxwood
Citation?

I have a Morris Boxwood and the leaves are quite different. The suspect King has pointed leaves, not oval. IDK that's why I'm asking. I would like proof though, because the place I got it seemed pretty sure its kingsville

I can take more pics if necessary.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is mine, leaves are pretty close - I definitely could be convinced either way, just a lot of size for a Kingsville - I'd that's what it is, it's great

B

Attachments

• 45095B3F-EF2E-43D0-8328-B86401428A54.jpeg
    45095B3F-EF2E-43D0-8328-B86401428A54.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 80

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
I have several kingsville from different vendors.
It’s hard to tell from the photo.

I would go with a Vancehanna pot, I’m sure if you contact him he will send you some pictures.

Attachments

• 2FE1DEB6-B865-4826-A331-FC1F6BA6A790.jpeg
    2FE1DEB6-B865-4826-A331-FC1F6BA6A790.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 125AC0E8-7D90-44A4-B4DA-0D58DC3CA12E.jpeg
    125AC0E8-7D90-44A4-B4DA-0D58DC3CA12E.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is mine, leaves are pretty close - I definitely could be convinced either way, just a lot of size for a Kingsville - I'd that's what it is, it's great

B
The Bonsai master at the nursery I got it from helped me carry it to the counter, and said it looked to be 20-25 years old. 🤷‍♂️

Is bonsai master the correct term? He teaches the classes and works on all the trees. Tree Dude? :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have several kingsville from different vendors.
It’s hard to tell from the photo.

I would go with a Vancehanna pot, I’m sure if you contact him he will send you some pictures.
Those are nice pots and the non glazed color I had in mind, but I'm not very "artistic" when it comes to colors and shapes (my wife dresses me). :)

Picked the wrong hobby not to be artistic. :)

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Bonsai master at the nursery I got it from helped me carry it to the counter, and said it looked to be 20-25 years old. 🤷‍♂️

Is bonsai master the correct term? He teaches the classes and works on all the trees. Tree Dude? :)
Definitely tree dude 😆. It looks at least that old, mine probably 10-12, yours has a lot more size and interest to it

B

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Maybe something like this? https://www.ikerbonsaipots.com/bonsai-pot-9-5-8-dia-22601/
Probably round and moderately feminine. It could be brown but if there is a lot of red, it will contrast a lot with the emerald leaves (unless you want this then go flame red?). You would probably not want a shiny glaze, that is typically left to tropicals. I like the idea of cream too. I think you would want something a few inches high, and not super flat.
Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe something like this? https://www.ikerbonsaipots.com/bonsai-pot-9-5-8-dia-22601/
Probably round and moderately feminine. It could be brown but if there is a lot of red, it will contrast a lot with the emerald leaves (unless you want this then go flame red?). You would probably not want a shiny glaze, that is typically left to tropicals. I like the idea of cream too. I think you would want something a few inches high, and not super flat.
Good luck!
I am leaning toward an oval. Color is harder because I have mainly tropicals and a fondness for glazed pots which wouldn't be appropriate.
Yeah. I did rule out glazed. But that's about all I ruled out. Oval seems to be I good way to go also.

Top Bottom