Is this a real bonsai nut?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I "rescued" two walnut trees that had been buried in my Anderson flats last fall by squirrels. When they germinated this spring I couldn't bring myself to toss them aside like a weed. But I'm not sure what to do with them since they aren't really bonsai material.
Careful where you plant them as the leach out juglone that prevents other plants from growing within their root radius.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Bonsai Nut - walnuts - I suppose one could style them like Kimura styled the Japanese native sumac he displayed on occasion. Each trunk a single line with a palm tree like whorl of compounds leaves at the top. In autumn color the sumac (genus Rhus) have beautiful autumn color. Sadly the autumn color of walnut is basically yellow with brown blotches. Not very attractive.

Find a spot in the yard to plant the walnuts in the ground, let them grow. At 30 to 40 years they will be worth thousands to a lumber mill. Walnut for veneer and furniture making is always in demand. Your grandkids could make bank on walnuts planted now.

In the Chicago area there is a lumber yard that specialized in specialty wood harvested from street trees and urban landscape projects.

Top Bottom