Is this a real bonsai nut?

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I save my used bonsai soil to start cuttings in or plant succulents for my wife. A couple weeks ago I noticed something growing out of the old soil. I dug down into the soil and found it is loaded with small p-nuts. All I can figure is a squirrel must have taken a p-nut out of the bird feeder and buried it in the soil. E8A7C608-B32D-473B-88BC-0AB8B10E9366.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Raccoons eat squirrels, which still disturbs me.
Maybe that's why the raccoons taste tasty as well. I've mentioned this before here, my supervisor is from Georgia. He told me when the coon is in the oven you better be there when it comes out if you want to get a piece........if not you out of luck. I asked him are you serious and he told me he wasn't joking, lol.

I wouldn't eat coon either. Farthest I'll go for eating game animals is boar, deer, duck, rabbit.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Maybe that's why the raccoons taste tasty as well. I've mentioned this before here, my supervisor is from Georgia. He told me when the coon is in the oven you better be there when it comes out if you want to get a piece........if not you out of luck. I asked him are you serious and he told me he wasn't joking, lol.

I wouldn't eat coon either. Farthest I'll go for eating game animals is boar, deer, duck, rabbit.
I've never heard of anyone eating a raccoon. Even though my cousins hunt animals of all sorts in Kansas.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've eaten squirrel, not bad, but not much meat. To me squirrel is almost like eating cat, the meat is stringy and tough. Dog tastes better, more tender, and much more meat than squirrel and cat. I've helped butcher deer for venison, snapping turtle, and other wild critters. I never deliberately have eaten cat or dog, but was hanging out with a bunch of Chinese nationals while in Malaysia, and found out after the fact that indeed that is what I have eaten. Sugar gliders, those cute little things that are sometimes kept as pets in the USA, are probably the one I felt the worst about eating, but again, my hosts were chattering in Pahang, which I don't understand. It took one to translate from Pahang to Chinese, and another person to translate from Chinese to English to find out what I was eating. The rule was to smile a lot and be gracious.

My favorite non-traditional for USA citizens food was Monitor Lizard. The Pahang had shot a 6 footer the morning we had dinner with them. Very much tastes like alligator, and was cooked in a way that made it quite tender. Really nice.

My Hungarian grandmother loved horse meat. I'm certain I had it when I was a little kid. By 1970 it was no longer allowed in retail butcher shops, so I have not had any since I was about 15 years old. Every culture has their foods that they like, and are considered "acceptable", and their foods that are forbidden. Talmudic law devotes much to what is allowed to be eaten, and how it is to be handled or prepared. Much makes sense if you remember they were writing those rules before refrigeration was available.

When travelling, I try to eat what the locals eat. I could not imagine going to Kuala Lumpur, and having McDonalds. As much as possible, when on the road I try to eat like the locals. Its quite the education. A Japanese-American friend of mine, when travelling was frequently frustrated by his hosts wanting to take him to Japanese restaurants. He would remind them that he got Japanese food, at home, everyday. He was the one who encouraged me to really try to find and sample the local cuisine where every I was. I have now had BBQ in 27 states, as every state, every city has their own regional take on BBQ. I still have to try sample BBQ from 23 more states, and a couple territories.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've eaten squirrel, not bad, but not much meat. To me squirrel is almost like eating cat, the meat is stringy and tough. Dog tastes better, more tender, and much more meat than squirrel and cat. I've helped butcher deer for venison, snapping turtle, and other wild critters. I never deliberately have eaten cat or dog, but was hanging out with a bunch of Chinese nationals while in Malaysia, and found out after the fact that indeed that is what I have eaten. Sugar gliders, those cute little things that are sometimes kept as pets in the USA, are probably the one I felt the worst about eating, but again, my hosts were chattering in Pahang, which I don't understand. It took one to translate from Pahang to Chinese, and another person to translate from Chinese to English to find out what I was eating. The rule was to smile a lot and be gracious.

My favorite non-traditional for USA citizens food was Monitor Lizard. The Pahang had shot a 6 footer the morning we had dinner with them. Very much tastes like alligator, and was cooked in a way that made it quite tender. Really nice.

My Hungarian grandmother loved horse meat. I'm certain I had it when I was a little kid. By 1970 it was no longer allowed in retail butcher shops, so I have not had any since I was about 15 years old. Every culture has their foods that they like, and are considered "acceptable", and their foods that are forbidden. Talmudic law devotes much to what is allowed to be eaten, and how it is to be handled or prepared. Much makes sense if you remember they were writing those rules before refrigeration was available.

When travelling, I try to eat what the locals eat. I could not imagine going to Kuala Lumpur, and having McDonalds. As much as possible, when on the road I try to eat like the locals. Its quite the education. A Japanese-American friend of mine, when travelling was frequently frustrated by his hosts wanting to take him to Japanese restaurants. He would remind them that he got Japanese food, at home, everyday. He was the one who encouraged me to really try to find and sample the local cuisine where every I was. I have now had BBQ in 27 states, as every state, every city has their own regional take on BBQ. I still have to try sample BBQ from 23 more states, and a couple territories.
Funny you mention horse meat. I too have tried horse meat during a big lunch for my sister-in-law's first communion. This was in Italy maybe 20yrs ago, it's still commonly available there. It was dried and finely shredded. It was ok, but not something I would deliberately go out and look for. I do like rabbit meat very much though.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I save my used bonsai soil to start cuttings in or plant succulents for my wife. A couple weeks ago I noticed something growing out of the old soil. I dug down into the soil and found it is loaded with small p-nuts. All I can figure is a squirrel must have taken a p-nut out of the bird feeder and buried it in the soil. View attachment 397194
I use these same containers, but yellow, for individual (SOMETIMES 2) chiles!!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Funny you mention horse meat. I too have tried horse meat during a big lunch for my sister-in-law's first communion. This was in Italy maybe 20yrs ago, it's still commonly available there. It was dried and finely shredded. It was ok, but not something I would deliberately go out and look for. I do like rabbit meat very much though.
Horse meat is frickin DELICIOUS.... I also accidentally ate Dog in a Hmong opium basement.. it was good! But I wouldn’t do it again..

Gator is AWESOME! Squid is one of my favorites! Crickets and worms are alright. Rabbits GREAT!

Squirrel, pigeon.. kinda gamey.

Now Galut (sp?)!... that IS WEIRD!!

(Sorry for rambling.. a lot going on in “the real world” trying for distractions)

🤓

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
He told me they get into fights over coon, lol 😆😅😂

I guess it's a southern thing?
I and my brothers once ate a raccoon out of spite. That thing enter our duck coop at night and killed 15 ducks for no particular reason. It could not have eaten them all. My brothers and I caught it inside the big coop. One of my brothers and I had baseball bats in hand. That thing charged my brother and was bashed. Then he charged me and was dead.
We cleaned him and grilled him out of spite. The meat wasn't good but we were mad because we lost 15 ducks.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Oak and walnut are the nuts that squirrels bury in my "fallow pots" of media.

About re-using media. There are some who feel re-using bonsai potting media is a bad idea, for fear of transmitting pathogenic fungus, bacteria and pathogenic nematodes from tree to tree. Key is to dry the used media totally. Then sift again to remove fines. This drying process, especially when spread as a thin layer on a sheet or pan, in direct sunlight, will go a long way to eliminate disease. The sun's UV light will sterilize thin layers of soil. You can bake or pasteurize soil, getting the temp up to about 180 F. or 82 C. hot enough, no need to get hotter. Hold at temp for around 20 minutes and almost all pathogens will be killed. Store used media dry, and it can be re-used over and over again as long as it is resifted to remove fines prior to each re-use.

So drying and or pasteurizing are the two keys to re-using media. Pasteurization is best, though when no disease is suspected, simple drying is usually enough.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

About re-using media. There are some who feel re-using bonsai potting media is a bad idea, for fear of transmitting pathogenic fungus, bacteria and pathogenic nematodes from tree to tree. Key is to dry the used media totally. Then sift again to remove fines. This drying process, especially when spread as a thin layer on a sheet or pan, in direct sunlight, will go a long way to eliminate disease. The sun's UV light will sterilize thin layers of soil. You can bake or pasteurize soil, getting the temp up to about 180 F. or 82 C. hot enough, no need to get hotter. Hold at temp for around 20 minutes and almost all pathogens will be killed. Store used media dry, and it can be re-used over and over again as long as it is resifted to remove fines prior to each re-use.

So drying and or pasteurizing are the two keys to re-using media. Pasteurization is best, though when no disease is suspected, simple drying is usually enough.
If I reuse media, I use my Instant Pot set to slow cook overnight. No smell vs. using it in the oven and every thing will be killed.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I heard they are really tasty, but I don't think I could eat a tree-rat.
My Grandma fried them and put them into a pressure cooker to get tender. It was pretty good as long as you didn't break a tooth on some buckshot.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I "rescued" two walnut trees that had been buried in my Anderson flats last fall by squirrels. When they germinated this spring I couldn't bring myself to toss them aside like a weed. But I'm not sure what to do with them since they aren't really bonsai material.

Top Bottom