Is This A Seiju?

tnaz71

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this a Seiju? I just purchased it at a nursery and they said it was Seiju but the leaves don't look to be it, to me. I have several Seiju and none of my trees ever had leaves like this.

As always, I appreciate any help

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG1650.jpg
    IMAG1650.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG1645.jpg
    IMAG1645.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG1647.jpg
    IMAG1647.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 88

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's hard to tell between some of the really tiny elm leaves. The leaves are a little larger and more lanceolate than the 'Seiju' I usually see. It looks more like 'Yatsubusa'.

Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks may be of more assistance. He grows some very nice ones and may have a better handle on the subtle differences.

Kirk

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Twigs are "corky", too.

K

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was told yatsabusa branches are not as stiff as seiju and have a almost weeping look to them,seiju branches are much stiffer,and grow more upright,its very hard to tell by looking at leaves,i have both and there is not that much of a differance.

Reaction score
Now this is a Seiju. It is in the Australian national collection.

Yours does not look like one from the leaf shape.

Grant

Attachments

• IMG_3742 - Copy 2.jpg
    IMG_3742 - Copy 2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 59

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Having a Yatsabusa Elm myself I would say it definitely looks like one. They are very similar to the seiju elm (both variety's were created at the same time). If you are familiar with Seiju's a Yatsabusa will grow quicker, have more flexable branches and grows denser than a Seiju, which like Hokiado elms are very slow growers. Yatsubusa's are also more cold hardy than their seiju cousins and in my opinion are better material than seiju, especially if you want a tree that wont take as long to grow.

Top Bottom