Is this a Shimpaku?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sadly, this tree was left completely UNPROTECTED from Winter, on the SW most brutal
facing part of my property this Winter...
With temperatures reaching just below 0º F this sweetheart has stayed true to me.
I hopefully have begun recompense by renewing nearly all the old soil. Time to turn the tables.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for the input. I just worked the roots hard yesterday so limited to what pruning I can do.
I did some just to clean up for wiring and only a few suckers I call them (many more to go), and small dead twigs.
The bonsai in training, has been neglected with very little care for a couple years, and why the
bottom has been croaking. For some reason I lost interest in this nice nursery stock I got.
With a small amount of attention, it's looking promising. A great subject to learn how to graft on :)
No nurseries around these parts sell Shimpaku by that name, but care will be the same I'm sure.
They're not uncommon at nurseries and may go by Sergeants juniper.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you say it looks like this. I have been told these are Prostrata and when I see other bonsai called Prostrata they look very similar to mine.
I actually have 5 that are all exactly the same. Here is a pic of a few of them. They will go juvinille foliage when they get trimmed heavily.

Attachments

• IMG_4832.JPG
    IMG_4832.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20171125_141129.jpg
    20171125_141129.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2016-05-20 09.24.40.jpg
    2016-05-20 09.24.40.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok I'm officially confused and serves me right for not doing better documentation.
Interesting twisted trees, I bought 2 Sergeant junipers at the same time and they neither look anything like a shimpaku.
View attachment 185021 View attachment 185022
Judging by the first pic, the one on the left could be a shipaku. The one on the right could be kishu. All are Sargents. Shimpaku and kishu are different varieties of Sargents juniper.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Would you say it looks like this. I have been told these are Prostrata and when I see other bonsai called Prostrata they look very similar to mine.
I actually have 5 that are all exactly the same. Here is a pic of a few of them. They will go juvinille foliage when they get trimmed heavily.
Hi Thomas! Well, maybe had I been caring for this tree it would look as nice :oops: and why are the smileys chopped off? LOL site glitch.
So, I think what you have tends to be more dense, but hard to tell really. On 2nd thought, looking again...perhaps.
I like where you're going with the 2nd picture. Will the 2nd or 3rd branch on the right have some jin to it?
Yeh ya know, mine is more leggy with longer bare branching, then when it gets foliage it is heavy.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Judging by the first pic, the one on the left could be a shipaku. The one on the right could be kishu. All are Sargents. Shimpaku and kishu are different varieties of Sargents juniper.
Hm. Pretty sure these were all grown out cuttings and in the same size nursery pot in the same lot, but you certainly could be right.

So I need to call mine something. My oldest procumbens I call my Alpha Juniper.
Perhaps I need a Japanese (Michi no junipa) or Greek (agnostos) or Latin (incognita) term for unknown...junipa.

Thanks for the effort guys. What matters most now is making the best I can of it, and that comes 2nd to surviving repot 1st.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very very nice! I appreciate you all sharing your photos and expertise. Those, mine would never look like.
Pretty freakin awesome in my book. Nebari and trunks very interesting. Nice prizes up the holler.
Took me a moment to realize both pics were the same tree :)

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Thomas! Well, maybe had I been caring for this tree it would look as nice :oops: and why are the smileys chopped off? LOL site glitch.
So, I think what you have tends to be more dense, but hard to tell really. On 2nd thought, looking again...perhaps.
I like where you're going with the 2nd picture. Will the 2nd or 3rd branch on the right have some jin to it?
Yeh ya know, mine is more leggy with longer bare branching, then when it gets foliage it is heavy.

These are three different trees. The tree in the second pic will have a ton of jin but I am waiting for the trunk and the jin branches to get thicker. I just noticed this pic is the back of the tree. Here is a pic of the front. I think in about three more years I may be close to where I want to be but we will see.
The denseness is a sign that it is healthy but the 1st and 3rd pic was just before thining out and you really shouldn't let them get this dense.
20171125_141100 (2).jpg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Quick update today. I need this thread renamed or just start another since...
DSC_7019.JPG
... I'm just going with straight up Sargent juniper with this guy. It is obviously not shimpaku.
Mom in the hospital 9 wks and counting my trees have taken back seat this year.

So today I did some reduction and immature jin on the lower left branch.
DSC_7093.JPG

DSC_7094.JPG
The branch so heavy was causing nothing but inverse taper, so I fixed that issue.

Top Bottom