Is this a zelkova?

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My neighbor's yard is a jungle of unmaintained trees which are spilling over my back fence. In all of the diverse shubbery, I never noticed this species until now. It's an elm, and elms aren't common in these parts, with the exception of Chinese elms. I can't see the trunk, but the upper branches seem smooth and dark grey, with reddish tinges. Some minor bark flaking along a stressed branch.

So, elm experts, is it a zelkova or does it look like something else? Cherry bark elm, maybe? I might try to air layer one of the branches hanging into in my yard.

Attachments

• IMG_2348.jpg
    IMG_2348.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2351.jpg
    IMG_2351.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 81

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t think it’s a Zelkova—the bark looks different—but it looks like it could be some kind of elm. It should root easily from cuttings if that’s the case. It’s worth trying, anyway.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you take a picture of the tree's form including its lower trunk?

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Can you take a picture of the tree's form including its lower trunk?
Sadly, no. A wall of overgrown yuccas are blocking my entire view of the tree's lower portion, and a taller Chinese elm is hovering over most of the tree.

If it's not a zelkova, my best guess is a cherry bark elm. The bands of reddish dots and ridges on the younger bark seem most like pictures online, plus it's slightly pendulous, which fits that species. I guess I can wait to look for seed pods later in the year. The cherry bark's are apparently distinctive in shape, and fuzzy.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The mystery elm is starting to flower and produce samaras. Hopefully this will soon give me a more positive ID since samaras are fairly distinctive in different species.

I've been trying to air layer a branch to take with me when I move in a month or two, but the tree is so vigorous, it's bridged the cut once this summer and has put on another 3/4" of callous in the last month since I recut the cambium. I just put a girdling wire on it and applied more rooting hormone to the callus. I really hope it roots enough to successfully separate before I move.

samaras.jpg

Kevin1968

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
looks like Chinese Elm to me. Hard to tell without closer look of trunk. But here is picture of younger branch on a Chinese Elm I have. Has same orangish strips around bark.

Cherry bark Elm has a larger more oval leaf if I remember correctly.

Second picture is of the Chinese Elm in my back yard. A bit older has lost all of its lace bark except on newer branches, is very twiggy.

Attachments

• IMG_4463.jpg
    IMG_4463.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4432.jpg
    IMG_4432.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My neighbor's yard is a jungle of unmaintained trees which are spilling over my back fence. In all of the diverse shubbery, I never noticed this species until now. It's an elm, and elms aren't common in these parts, with the exception of Chinese elms. I can't see the trunk, but the upper branches seem smooth and dark grey, with reddish tinges. Some minor bark flaking along a stressed branch.

So, elm experts, is it a zelkova or does it look like something else? Cherry bark elm, maybe? I might try to air layer one of the branches hanging into in my yard.
This looks like a zelkova to me. There are more than one variety and there is variation in bark and leaf shape. I don't think it's a Chinese elm (which is sold as "lacebark elm" in the landscape nursery trade), as leaves are too long and twigging isn't consistent with Chinese elm

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This looks like a zelkova to me. There are more than one variety and there is variation in bark and leaf shape. I don't think it's a Chinese elm (which is sold as "lacebark elm" in the landscape nursery trade), as leaves are too long and twigging isn't consistent with Chinese elm
You're probably right. I'm pretty sure it's not a lacebark Chinese Elm because it looks sooo different from the dozens of other Chinese elms I've seen planted across the county. The most logical alternative in my area is a zelkova, I'd just never seen any in person so I have no clue. While I'd love it to be something as rare as a cherry bark, that's probably wishful thinking. If it's a zelkova, I'll be less bummed if the air layer fails since zelkova are easier to source from growers.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as I know, zelcova serrata bloom in spring, and chinese elm, in autum...

if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck......

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, elm experts, is it a zelkova or does it look like something else?
I am NO expert. But PlantNet app thinks it’s Chinese Elm from leaf and flower. I don’t think it’s a Zelkova. Their main leaf trait are single serrations vs the doubly serrate of the Ulmus. I think the red arrows are double serrations. Although, it’s hard to tell from pic and some edges look like they have single serrations.

IMG_5349.jpeg

Top Bottom