Is this acer atropurpureum suitable for making a bonsai?

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey, so someone gifted me this beautiful atropurpureum for on the balcony of my new apartment. And now i was wondering if this can be made into a bonsai. It is already quite high about 40-50cm inculding the pot, and i was wondering if i should try to layer so that i can grow a more sutiable one. Or should i just let it grow for some time (it has alot of new healty growth) and just prune it a bit when it goes dormant to keep the size im check?

I really dont know alot about maples so any given advice is really helpful.20200701_200818.jpg20200701_200507.jpg20200701_200743.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
thats looks like a sweet (cool) maple! and from what i know it appears like it could be a nice bonsai

doctorater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In seriousness, that's clearly a nice tree. Lots of options for getting its progress as bonsai started. I'm no maple expert, but I know there are plenty of those around. Hopefully they'll pop in and give some tips.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Grow it in a big pot on your balcony, it will look great. Rubbish for bonsai.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
And before anyone asks, dead straight trunk, no taper, pencil thin, unsuitable branching, long internodes, large leaves, variety that doesn’t tend to make good bonsai.

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And before anyone asks, dead straight trunk, no taper, pencil thin, unsuitable branching, long internodes, large leaves, variety that doesn’t tend to make good bonsai.
Wel ok then,thanks for the heads up. Stil is it possible to layer a branch (when ever it has grown a bit) and start with it anew from there on out. Or is it just the specimen that doesnt really work as a bonsai ?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

while i dont doubt your points, i remember Nigel Saunders who is well regarded downplaying curved trunk. he does go for taper, but prefers straight trunks. thankfully this is a bonsai forum :x

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Wel ok then,thanks for the heads up. Stil is it possible to layer a branch (when ever it has grown a bit) and start with it anew from there on out. Or is it just the specimen that doesnt really work as a bonsai ?
Yes you can air layer it, but this isn’t one of the more desirable varieties.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
TomB nailed it. This is one of the most popular landscaping plants in the world, but I've never seen one as a decent bonsai.

doctorater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
DixyNL, I was afraid of this, answers by experts or experienced bonsaiists look at the material through the perspective of the expert or experienced bonsaiist. I don't disagree with the responses above, except that they may not be seeing the question from your perspective. I assume you are new to bonsai and are not looking to create a world-class bonsai specimen, but want to enjoy creating a pleasant bonsai with the material you have on hand. You can certainly do this with the Japanese Maple you have. If this is what you're after let us know and I, or someone else, will try to provide you the information you seek.

Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ditto doctorater's sentiments. If you're going for shows, maybe not the best material. If it's for you, anything goes.
Especially if you feel you have the time to invest in it. Right now, not great bonsai. A few years from now, no problem.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Bottom line, do what you want to do to have fun. Enjoy!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So, Japanese Red Maple is not suitable for bonsai? My student, Harvey Carapella and I did not know that and went ahead and trained this award winning tree. Good thing we did not read the post about this cultivar being unsuitable. For those who have not seen a decent Japanese Red Maple bonsai, here is one. First photo from 2010 and the second photo 2018.
RED MAPLE 2010.JPG

RED MAPLE 2018.JPG

doctorater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, Japanese Red Maple is not suitable for bonsai? My student, Harvey Carapella and I did not know that and went ahead and trained this award winning tree. Good thing we did not read the post about this cultivar being unsuitable. For those who have not seen a decent Japanese Red Maple bonsai, here is one. First photo from 2010 and the second photo 2018.
View attachment 312966

View attachment 312967
Those are beautiful.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Is it grafted ? can you show a pic of the nebari ?
you can do almost everything with this young tree : a tall and thin literati, clip & grow, airlayer etc

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
DixyNL, I was afraid of this, answers by experts or experienced bonsaiists look at the material through the perspective of the expert or experienced bonsaiist. I don't disagree with the responses above, except that they may not be seeing the question from your perspective. I assume you are new to bonsai and are not looking to create a world-class bonsai specimen, but want to enjoy creating a pleasant bonsai with the material you have on hand. You can certainly do this with the Japanese Maple you have. If this is what you're after let us know and I, or someone else, will try to provide you the information you seek.

That is indeed what i am looking for i am in no way experianced in bonsai and prob wil not be for alot of years. I am just looking for some training and having fun in my spare time, i figured bonsai is all about how you feel when taking care of it for a long time andnursing something you helped grow.

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is it grafted ? can you show a pic of the nebari ?
you can do almost everything with this young tree : a tall and thin literati, clip & grow, airlayer etc
Help me with the termenolgy here a bit, you want to see the rootbase? And i am sorry but i dont know what grafted means.. xD

Top Bottom