Is this an Amur?

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This isn't really bonsai related, but I know Amurs are popular now, and invasive in many areas. Anyway I had this mystery seedling come up near one of my Amurs. It looks similar to, but not the same, as an Amur. Amurs are invasive here, I intended to never let them flower or produce seed, and I wasn't aware of my Amurs flowering at all yet. Did I miss my Amur flowering or is this seedling something else?
DSC_0171.JPG

For comparison, this is the Amur it sprouted next to (photo from earlier this summer as it is currently leafless).
DSC_0123.JPG

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cannot tell with certainty but as you can see the 'confirmed' amur has elongated leaves whereas the top picture leaves are more stubby.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This isn't really bonsai related, but I know Amurs are popular now, and invasive in many areas. Anyway I had this mystery seedling come up near one of my Amurs. It looks similar to, but not the same, as an Amur. Amurs are invasive here, I intended to never let them flower or produce seed, and I wasn't aware of my Amurs flowering at all yet. Did I miss my Amur flowering or is this seedling something else?
View attachment 515635

For comparison, this is the Amur it sprouted next to (photo from earlier this summer as it is currently leafless).
View attachment 515636
No, I don't think it's an Amur maple. For one thing, I've never seen an Amur maple that didn't have bright, fire-engine red foliage in the fall. The lobe divisions on the leaves aren't as deep as is typical for Amur maple and the middle lobe should be longer than the other two lobes.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@karen82 do you know if acer glabrum is native in your area.....since it looks very similar. Also, is there a chance that this might actually be hawthorn?

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@karen82 do you know if acer glabrum is native in your area.....since it looks very similar. Also, is there a chance that this might actually be hawthorn?

I'm well outside the range for Acer glabrum. In my yard I have identified red maple, striped maple, and possibly even mountain maple (Acer spicatum). The leaves of the seedling do look a little like red maple leaves too, just smaller.

Top Bottom