Is this AP 'katsura'?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In another thread I saw a picture of the katsura cultivar. It reminded me a lot of one of my "trial maple", which I got very early on in my bonsai expedition. I initially took it as a regular green maple. However, I now have some green maples, and understand why people say they are strong growers. And I am starting to realize the trial maple probably is a more of a small maple.

Some pictures from the foliage in different stages:

20140420_2.jpg20140609_6.jpg20180408_86.JPG20190422_R14A1448.jpg

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like Katsura to me.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, cool. Maybe I should treat it, and the 3 offspring I have laying about in the vegetable garden, with a little more care and bring it back to respectability maybe even a pot!?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Could be ‘Orange Dream’? Loads of choices- but you don’t know where/who it came from?
Charles

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be ‘Orange Dream’? Loads of choices- but you don’t know where/who it came from?
It came from a tree nursery where it was in a pile "frost damaged" trees. no label. At the time I just assumed regular green. No graft that I could find either.

Come spring I will try to remember to take a series of clear foliage pictures.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it wasn't labeled, probably won't be able to properly ID.....vivid spring color persists longer than most AP and you'll notice it pop amongst the green...could be, though. Document in spring.

DSC02422.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
@leatherback a distinguishing feature of Katsura is that by mid-summer the foliage on the extremities of the upper portions will turn pale. This occurs regardless of age: 10-30cm cuttings do it, 5 and 25 year old bonsai do it, 10 and 40 year old landscape trees do it, (i'm listing what i've seen first hand). Katsura means 'wig', and I've wondered if it got its name from this phenomenon (others have hypothesized other origins for the name).

The 'whispy' tip of the central lobe (see @fredman 's photo), is also characteristic.

(First two photos stolen from the internet, last 4 photos are my tree)

Attachments

• A.P. Katsura 3 06-15-07 2.jpg
    A.P. Katsura 3 06-15-07 2.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 17
  • A.P. Katsura 06-15-07.jpg
    A.P. Katsura 06-15-07.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 11
  • katsura 5.jpg
    katsura 5.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 12
  • katsura 6.jpg
    katsura 6.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 12
  • katsura 1.jpg
    katsura 1.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 14
  • katsura 2.jpg
    katsura 2.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 23

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
Charles
I did think of that one, but for me it’s not quite ticking the right boxes..at least not yet. Spring and Summer would hopefully offer more clues but as you stated, tough call as to exactly what.

I’m still leaning to Katsura but I can’t compare it with mine until I next visit the garden it’s current grounded in.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It could be either Katsura or Orange Dream (or maybe another one) : depending on the conditions of cultivation, the pH of the soil, etc, colours can vary for the same cultivar.
This being said, I also think it might be Katsura, whose leaves are a bit darker when they come out. Here are pictures I took today of an O.D. and a K. in the same location and about the same height :

acerp_orangedream03_210311a.jpg acerpkat02_210311a.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DSC00558.JPG

Orange dream in spring....emerged into a bit too much shade so a bit more green than yellow...O.D. will be a broader leaf "palm" where Katsura will have deeper divided lobes...good sun exposure in spring is key to "proper" color in my opinion.

Top Bottom