1481297668075-200754713.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's probably not good. When was the tree chopped?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not uncommon in Elms... they are pretty "juicy"- that fluid below the bark can freeze and swell and cause the bark to damage easily during times of extreme cold... especially with roots there seems to be a higher propensity of this... I once damaged a root just by touching it on a cold morning! Perhaps, was this a root cutting?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My maples will do that if I prune them in winter, it's just the sap bleeding out and freezing. Ive never chopped a tree at this time of year except tropicals though.

Aaron

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not uncommon in Elms... they are pretty "juicy"- that fluid below the bark can freeze and swell and cause the bark to damage easily during times of extreme cold... especially with roots there seems to be a higher propensity of this... I once damaged a root just by touching it on a cold morning! Perhaps, was this a root cutting?

well glad its not some kind of weird fungus.
Weird though, I havent seen this before.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it's an alien, having traveled a great distance underground from the core of earth where it has been waiting dormant for millions of years and it worked its way up through the roots to our atmosphere, now hatching.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just a defence mechanism i believe, the tree trying to protect itself. nature's idea of cutpaste

Top Bottom