Is this bonsai saveable?!

Reaction score
7F77484B-4E48-4047-9710-84823CC7A17E.jpeg
Chinese elm. Gone through first winter. Only few leaves coming out and not at ends of branches. Scraped back branch-bark to find live-green and removed most of peripheral dead wood. Only few growing areas developing though which seem to turn dry. Is fed weeekly and watered regularly!
Should I keep waiting? Is it already too dead?!
Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Sure. There’s leaves so it’s alive. Give it some light and put it outside if possible. Let it grow a bit to make it stronger before you do any work to it.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't scratch trees, it creates a wound. There are green leaves so obviously it's alive.
Is it outside? What kind of soil first it have? How do you judge when to water?

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Needs to be outside unless you live in a very cold climate where it is still freezing. Also, since you have no leaves, it doesn't need much water. I would let it dry out some (not completely).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you finish your profile, it will help ones know how to offer guidance. Location/climate is a huge factor in what we do when.

If it's green, there is life. I would never suggest to cut back until its recovered. You could remove live wood.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, perfectly savable. Move it outside. THe first weeks do not give it more than an hour or so of early morning sun. Protect from frost if you still get some. (These take frost, but need a normal fall before they do!). Water properly (Nice dowsing of water, then let the soil dry a little before watering again. Soggy pots are bad, as are dry pots.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 368816
Chinese elm. Gone through first winter. Only few leaves coming out and not at ends of branches. Scraped back branch-bark to find live-green and removed most of peripheral dead wood. Only few growing areas developing though which seem to turn dry. Is fed weeekly and watered regularly!
Should I keep waiting? Is it already too dead?!
Thanks for any advice.
Based on the picture, algae over the tree base and pot feet. I suspect you have kept the tree too wet. I would remove from pot and check the roots for rot. If some of the roots are black, smell bad and squishy than I would repot removing all dead roots and keep only the healthy ones, putting the tree back in free draining soil mix.
Moving ahead water well and wait until it begins to dry out before watering again. Protect from full sun right after repot for a few weeks. Elm are very susceptible to root rot and should be repotted regularly in free draining mix.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. Cut back to 2nd branch eliminating reverse taper and S curve. Develop from there. Keep outdoors as already mentioned. Do not allow wet soil/only damp;).

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Don't scratch trees, it creates a wound. There are green leaves so obviously it's alive.
Is it outside? What kind of soil first it have? How do you judge when to water?
AGREE, most lost trees are the victims of efforts to save them.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
AGREE, most lost trees are the victims of efforts to save them.
So true, for me at least. I have finally learned to take a deep breath, have some patience and am usually rewarded.

Top Bottom