Is this D.E. any good?

Reaction score
So I tried finding genuine napa 8822, but this is what I came up with....

I guess its marked 250F

Has anyone used this? It seems a little dusty, but I think its just like that.
I usually use turface for soil. I want turface, cant find it though.
I seen this and wanted to try it. pretty cheap, like 17 bucks!
will I go to hell if I dont sift it? I dont have screens at the moment, could buy some I guess

8822.jpg

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m pretty sure they’re the exact same thing. The NAPA branded floor dry has the exact same images and the graphic image for the words “floor-dry” are identical. According to this page Floor-Dry is a trademarked brand name, so it would stand to reason that it’s the same product despite the additional NAPA branding on the NAPA bags. I also feel that the NAPA version is quite dusty - much dustier than the Diatomite that I purchased when I lived in China. I’m not sure what the reason for that is.

Dalsom

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The same company mines, sizes, bags most DE on the market in US. Sift that brand for sure. Lots of powder that will clog and keep your soil too wet. Unless you want that.
I used it. It works great. I switched to the O’Rielly brand. Slightly larger particle size but still needs to be sifted to remove dust.

Reaction score
Cool, when I bought it I thought it was napa. So I guess I just confused myself.
I've got a strainer that may work well. Otherwise if not, I'll just buy some screens. I need screens anyway
Just didn't have them yet.

Thank you for the replies.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just got a bag.
It doesn't have as much fine material as Napa.
I sift with a rice strainer.

Lol. Sounded so blunt.

“Oh I sift with a 2mm grid, aluminium. Good quality. When I want granules for a larger potting I use a 4mm grid. What do you use?”

“I use a rice strainer”.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
EP produces it all regardless of who sells it. The only differences are size and of it is calcined or not.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
So I tried finding genuine napa 8822, but this is what I came up with....

I guess its marked 250F

Has anyone used this? It seems a little dusty, but I think its just like that.
I usually use turface for soil. I want turface, cant find it though.
I seen this and wanted to try it. pretty cheap, like 17 bucks!
will I go to hell if I dont sift it? I dont have screens at the moment, could buy some I guess

View attachment 189906
Oh and you won't go to hell for not sifting but if it's non-calcined you may have a lovely cinder block in the bottom of your pot by the next year

Reaction score
LOL, I will sift
whether it be with collander or mesh seive

I thought about trying to wash it out somehow. maybe sift in collander then run water through it in some sense to get ALL the rest of the dust out.

Reaction score
Also while Ive got peoples attention, should I not buy mychrizzae to add to the D.E.

ive read in other posts that it kills it?

just wondering?

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh and you won't go to hell for not sifting but if it's non-calcined you may have a lovely cinder block in the bottom of your pot by the next year
Optisorb doesn’t seem to be calcined. I just potted a bunch of trees in it... Uh oh.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Is this what you guys use? I take scoops straight out the bag and give it a couple shakes. Outdoors!
sieve.jpg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Optisorb doesn’t seem to be calcined. I just potted a bunch of trees in it... Uh oh.

Optisorb is not calcined it's kiln dried but not fired. It seems okay for a year but things I took out after a year here were pretty compacted.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Also while Ive got peoples attention, should I not buy mychrizzae to add to the D.E.

ive read in other posts that it kills it?

just wondering?

I would say any opinion that it kills it would be anecdotal until some kind of study is done. That said, ep says that it does have fungicidal properties.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
LOL, I will sift
whether it be with collander or mesh seive

I thought about trying to wash it out somehow. maybe sift in collander then run water through it in some sense to get ALL the rest of the dust out.

I sieve then put in a bag, put some very small holes poked in the bottom with a knife and stick the hose in.. the bag fills till it’s forcing the water through those holes and you’ll see the discolour.
I continue till happy with clear water.
It’s not easy and really annoying but it’s my method for getting rid of dust.. after sifting.. I don’t like the idea of dust.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
I sieve then put in a bag, put some very small holes poked in the bottom with a knife and stick the hose in.. the bag fills till it’s forcing the water through those holes and you’ll see the discolour.
I continue till happy with clear water.
It’s not easy and really annoying but it’s my method for getting rid of dust.. after sifting.. I don’t like the idea of dust.
pretty much the same thing I do but I just wash the DE while in the sieve.
I am always amazed how long it can take to get the dust off. it seems like there isnt much dust but the water is muddy for awhile.

Top Bottom