Is this damping off?

YaBoyMyth

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This dawn redwood sapling just poked his head through yesterday. Was like this when I woke up this morning. Is this damping off? I thought dawn redwoods liked to stay really moist? Any ideas?

Attachments

• 5D974F1F-A6AC-4795-B790-553B465C7781.jpeg
    5D974F1F-A6AC-4795-B790-553B465C7781.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 90513144-EF33-4AEC-A1D8-8F2FB23B6AFA.jpeg
    90513144-EF33-4AEC-A1D8-8F2FB23B6AFA.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 54

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
That’s a little seedling sprout not sapling lol. But also why is that in Pumice , lava , and akadama????

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Whoops definitely a seedling lol and is that not appropriate for germination? I thought substrate would work for it
Definitely not !! Normal potting soil or seed starting soil ! That stuff is for when you have a tree to start to refine not to build ! For a seedling like that I’m pretty sure your roots will just not be covered enough. But later real professionals will be on this thread

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I can't quite make out enough detail in the photo to confirm a diagnosis.
Damping off usually takes a few days to get started. It is usually more common in closely packed seedlings with less air movement and not enough sun. The most obvious symptom is seedlings wilt and fall over. Part of the lower stem will be shrunken and possibly turn brown.

Other possibilities are something may have chewed the stem. Snails and slugs can do that. You may see snail trails but you should be able to see that part of the stem is missing rather than shriveled.

If damping off is a possibility I'd use a fungicide straight away. From experience once it is in a pot it will kill almost all the seedlings within a week.

YaBoyMyth

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I can't quite make out enough detail in the photo to confirm a diagnosis.
Damping off usually takes a few days to get started. It is usually more common in closely packed seedlings with less air movement and not enough sun. The most obvious symptom is seedlings wilt and fall over. Part of the lower stem will be shrunken and possibly turn brown.

Other possibilities are something may have chewed the stem. Snails and slugs can do that. You may see snail trails but you should be able to see that part of the stem is missing rather than shriveled.

If damping off is a possibility I'd use a fungicide straight away. From experience once it is in a pot it will kill almost all the seedlings within a week.
Ok my assumption is it just wilted. Was reading dawn redwoods like to stay completely moist so I’m guessing this boon substrate is just too airy and didn’t keep the roots moist enough. Will buy some more seeds and try again next spring in some soil. My black pine saplings are growing quite well in substrate so I just assumed it would work for this species as well

Top Bottom