Is this ginkgo OK?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ginkgos are known for being able to tolerate poor soil conditions.

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
Catalonia (Mediterranean South-western Europe)
USDA Zone
9a
Nuclear power plants doesn't disturb the climate.... o_O
You have to water more and recondition the soil.
I wouldn't be so sure. It's producing a continuous flow of hot steam. It's a little area enclosed by mountains. In winter many days there is fog all day while out of the area there is no fog at all. I think it's the vapor of the plant that stays trapped by the mountains under certain weather conditions of low temperature and no wind.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well now all that is left is to wait for spring and hopefully it wakes up. Give the bark a scratch every now and then and if you see green it is still alive.

Ginkgos are known for being able to tolerate poor soil conditions.

Even so I wont be putting mine into my ground soil, it's Russian roulette here even with a basic level of conditioning it all just cements back in on itself. It's quite surprising how many plants tolerable of poor conditions will give up and die.
My soil has extremely high alkalinity, zero N and is basically a fine sand that compacts really hard.
I have kind of got a usable method that seems to be keeping more alive now but even then some will get transplant shock and this is certainly not what you want if you are going to use as a bonsai down the track. Better off keeping them in a pot with my soil or create a grow out bed above the soil level.

I can't say whether the OPs soil is similar to my part of Spain but I can see all the usual suspects growing in the background.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In fact its the ginkgo's remarkable adaptabolitu that has helped sustain them through tjrse millions of years unchanged since tje age of thecdinosaurs. You can read up on them here if yoh haven't already.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Good evening Bon Sai,

It's a little area enclosed by mountains. In winter many days there is fog all day while out of the area there is no fog at all. I think it's the vapor of the plant that stays trapped by the mountains under certain weather conditions of low temperature and no wind.

Maybe you should indicate your location in your profile.

I live in a place where the dominant winds come from the west, along the Loire valley, and the nearest nuclear plant is 60 km away (about 40 miles). I don't want to start a heated, or atomic, discussion about whether nuclear plants are "good" or "bad", but here, there is absolutely no influence on the weather. OK, we live in a plain, but the steam from nuclear plants is not radioactive - except of course when there's a dysfunction, like at Tchernobyl, but in that case, don't worry about steam, it's all about cesium and the like being released.

I think the problem is your soil.

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Good evening Bon Sai,

Maybe you should indicate your location in your profile.

I live in a place where the dominant winds come from the west, along the Loire valley, and the nearest nuclear plant is 60 km away (about 40 miles). I don't want to start a heated, or atomic, discussion about whether nuclear plants are "good" or "bad", but here, there is absolutely no influence on the weather. OK, we live in a plain, but the steam from nuclear plants is not radioactive - except of course when there's a dysfunction, like at Tchernobyl, but in that case, don't worry about steam, it's all about cesium and the like being released.

I think the problem is your soil.
Well, I wasn't saying radiation had anything to do with my ginkgo, I just said I think the plant might create a microclimate of lack of rain in summer and fog in winter. This plant is so near that I can actually hear the speaker of the plant.

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In fact its the ginkgo's remarkable adaptabolitu that has helped sustain them through tjrse millions of years unchanged since tje age of thecdinosaurs. You can read up on them here if yoh haven't already.
Sorry for the typos up there. And it looks like I didn't include the link I meant to share either. https://kwanten.home.xs4all.nl
Some good info there.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one would have been a double post...

Move along, nothing to see here... I seem to be having a hard time typing today. sorry!!

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's looking fine.

I've been to Catalunya so I know it can be very, very hot - and dry in summer so I think your watering system is the best thing you could do ;-)

I suppose ou have olive trees too? And I saw lots of Celtis, north of Barcelona, they're good trees for bonsai too in your climate;

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm south of Barcelona (Flix) in the most hot and dry area of the country. It can reach 108F (42C) in summer. Trees literally die if not watered. Except for olive trees and other plants adapted here. It can be also too cold for some trees in winter as every now and then it reaches some 18F (-8C) or less. My kumquad almost died 2 years ago.

I have a celtis at home. And I've made an air-layer to it. And some 200 olive trees. I've chosen one for bonsai and so far I've taken 2 air-layers from it and 3 more are in process.

There are lots of aleppo pines suitable for yamadori around my house.

Have a look

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm south of Barcelona (Flix) in the most hot and dry area of the country. Trees literally die if not watered. Except for olive trees and other plants adapted here.

Nice to see a Catalonian here, with all the craziness going on in your country :) I hope everything works out for the best, though it is a struggle you all have been dealing with for 100's of years.

How is your irrigation water? Have you tested it for pH and alkalinity? Make sure your soil isn't becoming alkaline or salty.

Some other species to consider are Mediterranean friendly trees like cork oaks, silverberries, bay figs, and citruses. Though kumquats are not native to the area, they are grown commercially in Greece, so I assume they would do well in your area (and their fruit size is more easy to manage than a full citrus).

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice to see a Catalonian here, with all the craziness going on in your country :) I hope everything works out for the best, though it is a struggle you all have been dealing with for 100's of years.

:) nice to see someone from the states with some knowledge of it. Well, in fact Trump spoke about it once ha ha

How is your irrigation water? Have you tested it for pH and alkalinity? Make sure your soil isn't becoming alkaline or salty.

I haven't but I know it's rather alkaline. It comes from the Ebre river. I plan to water my bonsais with rainwater.

And yes, there are some interesting species around here. I like to try species from far away too. I have 4 californian buckeyes in training for example.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have 4 californian buckeyes in training for example.

That is funny! I never think of California natives ending up on the other side of the world :) I think California buckeyes are great trees, but I would consider them difficult bonsai subjects due to their compound leaves.

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That is funny! I never think of California natives ending up on the other side of the world :) I think California buckeyes are great trees, but I would consider them difficult bonsai subjects due to their compound leaves.

I've always liked buckeyes for some reason. I chose the californian ones because they have the smallest leaves (or so I think). But before I looked at some pics of bonsais and thought they were not bad, so I decided to give it a try.

13320869454_949875c7e8_b.jpg

Top Bottom