Is this happening due to global warming?

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all, its me again. I wanted your concerns and suggestions about the following. This November we had 1 of the hottest Novembers in years infact the cold is here now but till about 2 weeks ago we have been still going out with t-shirts and shorts infact some do even now. There has been clear days like today with only a day of rain with about 3 weeks. What do i want to say, i have been looking as fruit trees everyday, after the fruit trees had their fruits leaves starting falling so next february, march will have the new flowing for the fruit of the next season. Everybody knows this cycle. But instead of all this what happened here was that since our weather was still warm the trees must have thought it is already spring and some of the fruit trees have flowers and new growth already so the cycle is not correct and as the cold is still coming obviously the new growth will be lost including the new buds for the next season fruits. I have been talking with some farmers yesterday and they all said the same thing that next season we will have no fruit due to the breaking of this cycle. Do you people believe that this is due to global warming? or is it just a coincidence for this year? There is also another problem with the farmers because they can't plant new fruit trees because these trees are still having growth so they will have to do this later in the year loosing some time. I have to say for myself that almost all my trees are still growing and i can see the days growth every single day so its not like some trees are still growing and some not

What do you guys think about this?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think weather is cyclical -not just day to day, decade to decade, century to century and beyond. I believe in global warming--unless it's global cooling...:D

Despite the warmer than normal summer in Europe, North America is experienced one of the coldest wettest summers in history:

http://www.climatelogic.com/forecasts/review-summer-2009-north-america.html

We have seen some of the coldest temps on record in the last few years too. The average temp has actually declined in the last ten years or so..

global warming, sure. What can we do about it? Not alot I think. Is it our fault? Probably not, we might play some part in it, but I think the larger picture is about natural cycles that fluctuate over thousands of years. The 150 or so years we've been keeping records on weather show only a tiny slice of what's "normal."

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well i am not an expert but i have watching lots of stuff over the internet and on tv and its not about global warming mostly but about randomness of the weather. I mean rain in august (where we never have rain in summer for about 3 months) and sunshine and warm in january and february where it is suppost to be very cold. Stong winds or tornados where they never happened before. This is my point will see about that hoping for a better future for all

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Stong winds or tornados where they never happened before."

Before when? Tornadoes can happen anywhere--it just depends on the severity of a given thunderstorm, or the exact conditions setting themselves up. Strong winds?

Never had rain in August? How do you know?

My point is, the Internet and TV offer sensationalism and in the Internet's case--a whole lot of crappola.

Weather is weather. It's changeable--400-600 years ago, the UK was warm enough to support vineyards. The Climate shifted, got significantly cooler -- that cooling shifted the emphasis to cold weather grains--malt, hops, etc. The UK became one of the most productive beer producers in the world because of climate change. Thank climate change for Guinness...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

and especially:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But what if it happens so fast that we, and the rest of the creatures, don't have enough time to adapt? What if all this will happen within a few decades?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Global Warming is just a political invention to further the causes of the same environmentalists that would shut off water to farmers that produce our food in an attempt to save a small fish that nobody eats.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"But what if it happens so fast that we, and the rest of the creatures, don't have enough time to adapt? What if all this will happen within a few decades?"

It has already happened and we have survived and even thrived. All of the events below (and many many more) were climate related, sometimes developing in decades or even a decade. There is huge precedence in almost every climate "change" happening today. The difference is that people have become separated from the natural world, with almost all living in urban centers. They mostly have no past experience with how nature works--and are quite easily frightened when it comes to mysterious "natural" things. Used to be a severe weather was something to be endured, now it's something to be fearfully anticipated, publicized, marketed and used as political leverage.

Dust Bowl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_Bowl
Can you imagine the hysteria that would erupt from the Internet and media if this event happened now?

great famine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_of_1315–1317

Russian drought
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droughts_and_famines_in_Russia_and_the_Soviet_Union

Indian Drought:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famine_in_India

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
" They mostly have no past experience with how nature works--and are quite easily frightened.

No problem, a few dozen countries and a few thousand cities will disappear. We can easily handle that. Famine, schmamine, world wars...been there, done that.

I live far away from the coast and also have airconditioning. So I will keep enjoying my pickup truck and leave the Prius for the yuppies.
Worst comes to worst, the High Sierras are not too far from here. I can always move uphill and enjoy the scenery. For those of you guys, with beachhouses: sorry for the wet feet.

Stay thirsty my friends....;)

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"a few dozen countries and a few thousand cities will disappear."

Um, don't look now, but man already makes this happen now. Weather may or may not, be a co-conspirator. Can you say Soviet Union? Chitzen itza? East germany?

http://www.dirjournal.com/info/abandoned-places-in-the-world/

Yep, I agree.
Compared to the evil that we, humans, are capable of doing to each other, global warming may indeed be a child's dream.

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so basically from what i can understand is that nobody beleives in this thing. I am not an expert and i may believe and not, but i can't really ignore that we made the world our garbage, built where we were not suppose too and the nature showed us that it was illegal building in such plases. We have used almost all raw materials. Some of you may be old and don't give a flying fu$k about this but i am 27 and i have a child coming and i want a future for us. Apart from all this we all know that if another world war happens its the end of the world so i hope this won't happen in our lifetimes.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so basically from what i can understand is that nobody beleives in this thing. I am not an expert and i may believe and not, but i can't really ignore that we made the world our garbage, built where we were not suppose too and the nature showed us that it was illegal building in such plases. We have used almost all raw materials. Some of you may be old and don't give a flying fu$k about this but i am 27 and i have a child coming and i want a future for us. Apart from all this we all know that if another world war happens its the end of the world so i hope this won't happen in our lifetimes.

I think most of the people believe that we contributed to this warming. It is really not a matter of belief, rather it is a matter of making an effort and research the facts.
The problem is that many of the same people who do accept the fact that mankind contributed to this, also think that there is not much we can do about it. So, they do nothing.

Of course, there are always those who refuse to accept the facts and live in denial. There is no point to argue with them, they wouldn't see if it it hit them in the face.

The absolutely overwhelming majority of the scientist community accepts this fact. To me, this alone is enough evidence, since I do not claim to know more than they do.

The only thing the scietist community can do, is to work with governments and with those who accept global warning as a fact. Also, they need to do more in the field of educating those who are undecided. The best thing to do with those wo don't care, or try to deny the obvious, is to ignore them. What else would you do?

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By the way, from those who don't believe that greenhouse gases are contributing to global warming, you will often hear the argument: "global warming also happened before mankind was even on this Earth, so therefore, it is not mankind who created it".

This is obviously a logical fallacy, since nobody argues against the fact that global warming happened before mankind. We all know that there were many periods or Glacial and Interglacial cycles before us.
So, this is a false argument against the human factor in global warming.

The logical answer is, mankind did not create global warming, we are just contributing to it with our greenhouse gas emmissions. What we can do , is to reduce these emmissions to a tolerable level. By doing that, we may be able to give Mother Nature a chance to use its defense mechanism to deal with the natural cycles of warming and cooling. As long as we don't push it over the limits, nature always has a way of dealing with these slow changes, and we can learn to live with it.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I wonder if the ammonites, trilobites, dinosaurs, giant mammoths, saber toothed tigers and the do do bird worried this much about their future. Man has been here such an infitesimal amount of time when compared to other creatures that roamed the earth eons before us. We have come...and we will go...just when is the question. we will leave in our wake a wonderful fossil world for whomever comes to command the earth after our demise.

So far only man has had the capacity to even think of it's future and possibly plan for it. We are nearing the technoligy to take man to new worlds to try and preserve humanity on some distant planet. If we don't make it so what? We will only have been a footnote in a planet with such a rich diversity of life... and that is enough for me. Worry not, I am sure you and your offspring will live rich full lives. It ain't gonna happen in the next 100 years, thats for sure.

A couple of dinosaurs near the Yucatan peninsula 63 million years ago..." hey Harry what do you think that brite light is hurling at us". lol...

al

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The problem is that many of the same people who do accept the fact that mankind contributed to this, also think that there is not much we can do about it. So, they do nothing.

Of course, there are always those who refuse to accept the facts and live in denial. There is no point to argue with them, they wouldn't see if it it hit them in the face.

The absolutely overwhelming majority of the scientist community accepts this fact. To me, this alone is enough evidence, since I do not claim to know more than they do.

I wasn't aware of any facts that mankind has contributed to global warming and I am doubtful there can be facts for something that doesn't exist, we are in a cooling trend, not a warming trend...how can there be facts that we contribute to something that does not exist?

The "leading scientists were just busted for falsifying information to make it appear that global warming does exist and is a danger, I wouldn't put to much faith in them. Besides, there are also leading scientists that say we are in a cooling trend, not a warming trend, and there are facts to support this, such as the temperatures recorded over the last decades.

Could it happen? Sure, but our planet is on a decaying orbit and will eventually fall into the sun, that is a fact......As Al basically said, our world is coming to an end sooner or later, there are plenty of reasons to worry without inventing them for political gain.

By the way, does anyone here know what the dangerous gas is that they claim is going to kill us all by causing global warming? Here's a hint, our bonsai need it to survive....

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Answer: CO2 carbon dioxide, the same stuff we exhale and trees turn into oxygen..... and trees make a excellent carbon sink.

They should stop clear cutting the world and plant more trees rather than worry about SUVs and what light bulbs I am using. Which is the most logical step, if they are truly concerned, but the problem is they can't use government to control us by simply planting trees....they can't tax emissions, tell us what to drive, what light bulbs to use, etc etc etc

Grow Bonsai and Save the World!

By the way, does anyone here know what the number one producer of carbon dioxide is?

Water. Not humans.

And did you know what the worst greenhousw gas is?

Water Vapor, not carbon dioxide! Water vapor accounts for the largest percentage of the greenhouse effect.

Bet your liberal media doesn't tell you these things, do they? ;)

Will

Last edited:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Climate Change

Global warming…… isn't the new buzz word Climate Change, like Al quoted it’s been going on for eons and will continue to do so (various warming-cooling cycles – last ice age around here was 9-16000yrs ago).
I do believe that we are contributing to the cycles to some degree and have seen first hand, glaciers that have receded 2 km’s in the last 25 years.
And yes Will, we still clear cut up here (well its goes by a few more terms now… variable retention (VR) and ecosystem management EBM) and we plant/restock every hectare (2.5acres) we harvest…..also younger stands/forests use up way more CO2 than a ancient forest that’s a carbon sink.
“So grow more trees my friends”
Cheers G

Top Bottom