Is this indoor grow light overkill?

Kynewt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have 6 indoor bonsai(all vary in size) that i was looking to give a more lighting. They all sit on a 46” coffee table up against the window. Im currently on an east facing window on the second floor so i don’t receive much direct sunlight.

I saw this on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Vander-Doubl...00w&qid=1596483800&sprefix=vader+grow+&sr=8-3

would a light this intense fry my trees? I know nothing about indoor lighting. I’m just looking to not make my bill skyrocket and something that produces little heat. If this is a good choice how far away should it be from my plants?

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is a HUGE variety of lights out there these days - it is super daunting selecting the right LED lighting for indoor growing. I've been growing bonsai over winters in a grow tent for the last 3 years with similar lights.

This will be VERY bright inside a home. And the light will be a very odd unpleasant pink/blue. Unless you will never be in the area while it is on, it will be too much for a standard indoor space. It likely won't be too loud or too hot, and power draw you probably won't even notice if you aren't running more than 12 hours a day.

That being said, I wouldn't select this light. Look for one that has some real light data included showing the light spectrum and the actual levels that it is providing. Slightly higher level brands will give you a ton more science that will help you get a product that makes you happy. Without this info, there's no way to tell what you are really getting. Compare to this one:

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And to answer your question - no it's not overkill in my opinion for 6 trees. I'd keep it 24" or so away from them, as a baseline. Light is exponential, the closer you get to the light source the more powerful it is...so just keep it higher if the leaves are burning. I doubt it'd be a problem. :D

Kynewt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you think 1 would cover them pretty good? Or would 2 be better for a 46” table

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you think 1 would cover them pretty good? Or would 2 be better for a 46” table

There isn't really any way to know with this light. They don't give you any information about light levels or spectrum.

Kynewt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There isn't really any way to know with this light. They don't give you any information about light levels or spectrum.

So you have no personal experience with the one you linked “BESTVA”

Kynewt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nope. Not that one. Mine are by Roleadro. Similar.
Would you recommend Roleadro for your indoor bonsai? They seem to like the light? and how close do you have the light to them?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 6 indoor bonsai(all vary in size) that i was looking to give a more lighting. They all sit on a 46” coffee table up against the window. Im currently on an east facing window on the second floor so i don’t receive much direct sunlight.

I saw this on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Vander-Doubl...00w&qid=1596483800&sprefix=vader+grow+&sr=8-3

would a light this intense fry my trees? I know nothing about indoor lighting. I’m just looking to not make my bill skyrocket and something that produces little heat. If this is a good choice how far away should it be from my plants?
As far as indoor lighting for bonsai, there is no real overkill. As much light as you can get them is great (I don't know about this particular light however). Commercial indoor lighting on a small scale doesn't approach outdoor sunlight's intensity. If you're lucky, you can find a source that gives the equivalent of a cloudy day...

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would get two of these for a great veg light 4000k blue that increases photosynthesis and keeps plants stocky.Two of these at the overlapping spectrum would be awesome on a 4’ table for a nice price.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Next price range up is one of these.........honestly though for a simple operation .........using two overlapping spectrums of light from the two boards above would be preferrable at probably about 12-15” above plants 👍
This light starts getting into deeper penetration of canopy........On sale at $298.........this is more than a hobbyist with 6 plants needs though

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Bezalel Nebari

Sapling
Reaction score
Those HLG lights cmeg1 mentioned are a great option. For something within the price range of the amazon light you shared, check out Mars Hydro’s LED lights. Those blurple lights (such as the one in your amazon link) are outdated at this point. You can get way more power along with more efficiency and much better light spectrum with the LEDs on the market today. Mars Hydro doesn’t make lights as efficient as HLG but last I checked, they have some stuff within the $150-300 range that you could grow with.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
would a light this intense fry my trees?

Who knows? As far as I can tell, the light manufacturer doesn't provide any lighting information (lumens, spectral intensity, PAR) other than the fact that the light burns 300 watts. 300 watts could just mean the light is made with crappy low-efficiency LED's. Because of the constant rate of improvement in LED technology, each new generation of LED tends to have better spectrum, or higher efficiency, or both. I also noticed typos in the product description - never a good sign.

I would skip these lights and go with something that provides more information.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea,spectrum analysis by the manufacturer and par readings at different height really should be in the package.......to get a light reader that atctually goes above 700 ppfd is rather expensive.....very handy when manufacturer supplies this.The par reader has to be made for led’s also.....they are about $600.
They are extremely handy.......I took the plunge to stop guessing.

When I get funds ,I am going to introduce UV supplimental light in the grow room with a couple of these.I hear UV has many benefits like increased brix,resistance,and aromas and oils and such....makes the plants hardly like outdoor survival mechanisms do to a plant....like a suntan is in humans...protection.Cannot wait to see how this effects my pine trees.

Bezalel Nebari

Sapling
Reaction score
LED light meters are so damn pricey but I hope to get one someday. Extremely useful. Shane from Migro (who also makes excellent lights) does a lot of reviews on his YouTube channel. I’d check his channel out for honest reviews of not only his own lights, but of most of the competition’s lights as well.

He calibrated a cheap Amazon lux meter to his Apogee sq500 PAR sensor so you can measure LED light with it pretty accurately if you follow the chart he created. Link to that video is here:
I have been using this amazon lux meter and it is pretty accurate from the tests I’ve done.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Those HLG lights cmeg1 mentioned are a great option. For something within the price range of the amazon light you shared, check out Mars Hydro’s LED lights. Those blurple lights (such as the one in your amazon link) are outdated at this point. You can get way more power along with more efficiency and much better light spectrum with the LEDs on the market today. Mars Hydro doesn’t make lights as efficient as HLG but last I checked, they have some stuff within the $150-300 range that you could grow with.

something like this would fit the bill?

I’m honestly looking mostly to grow/propagate succulents but I have a few tropicals, And I wanted to do seedlings. Probably 3’x2’ of vegetation

I have been eyeing the grow light bulbs just because of the flexibility they could give me. I like the idea of having 3-4 bulbs that I could position differently to deliver different intensities. Are they worth considering? I see some enticing options for $25ish

Id like to spend $100 or less on my first attempt to grow indoors .. any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Bezalel Nebari

Sapling
Reaction score
something like this would fit the bill?

I’m honestly looking mostly to grow/propagate succulents but I have a few tropicals, And I wanted to do seedlings. Probably 3’x2’ of vegetation

I have been eyeing the grow light bulbs just because of the flexibility they could give me. I like the idea of having 3-4 bulbs that I could position differently to deliver different intensities. Are they worth considering? I see some enticing options for $25ish

Id like to spend $100 or less on my first attempt to grow indoors .. any suggestions would be appreciated :)
Can you post a link to the bulbs you’re referring to?

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sure, my mistake. This brand was recommended to me:

Bezalel Nebari

Sapling
Reaction score
Sure, my mistake. This brand was recommended to me:
Hey I was never notified about your response....did you end up buying those bulbs? I checked out the link and the manufacturer doesn't post a PAR map so I'm unsure. I'd say it's worth a shot for the price and it looks like a lot of people in the reviews grow succulents with it. If you're not getting the results you want, you could always use this light bulb for something else and spend a little more for a more powerful entry-level LED grow light.

Top Bottom