Is this japanese maple worth digging out?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If its rocky soil that may change things but in garden soil with a pair of loppers and basic digging tools this should not take long. But make sure its a deal you like.
that is what I was thinking. 20-30 minute lift.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The surface roots are very coarse, but it could make for an interesting clump style over time. You’d need to thread graft some roots to fix the nebari. If it was free except for your time it might be worth the trouble.

Danonito

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you all for the inputs and discussion, its interesting to see different views. I ended up getting it for 40e. A couple important notes:
- In the Netherlands its quite common for people to sell the unwanted trees from their gardens (by bidding), especially JMs. A tree of HALF the size of the pictured tree would cost you 200-300 in a commercial garden store & twice as that if its a landscape tree.
- It's an old lady who has the tree so I dont think she has bad intentions to "save money" by having me dig it out. Landscaping companies will rip out everything when remodelling a garden so for her its no difference :) I see it also as helping out another person
- 40euros for such a tree for me is well worth it as it will be a project of course (the first of this size for me). Even if it doesnt survive the transplant at least it will be a lesson on what to improve in my next dig. (ive dug out 2 smaller ones so far without issue)

Will post more on Saturday when I pick it up.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll interested in if you can get it out in less than an hour.

Danonito

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update!
I got the tree today. The leaves are tiny and autumn colour is amazing. She had already dug out the tree for me so definitely saved some time/effort!! for same price as we agreed , I consider it already a score;) It had a shallow root spread and told me she had it in a pot before planting it in the ground ( it was in the ground for about 4-5 years, also an indication that it must grow super fast). I got a really decent rootball. I cleaned a bit the roots, cut some big crossing ones and potted it in a wooden crate I quickly made. 50% potting clay granules & 50% equal parts akadama, pumice & compost. Secured with 3mm wire and ratchet strap (additional support for the winter but temporary). I must have removed around 75% of the foliage and 2/3 of the height so far (will probably cut some more in winter, I was too tired today).
I will probably raise the wall a bit and add a bit more substrate as I feel it too much over the surface. I was coming/cleaning roots for ~ 2 hours, I was too tired of doing this today.

Thoughts? In link below you can see the progress, last picture is how I left it today. I DEFINITELY need to clean/cut more roots and reduce the height further to about half of current but I got a bit reluctant as it is a bit early for diggin out in general. Is it too early to do some more root pruning and washing the old soil off in around 4-5 months from now? All tips / advice welcome.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Update!
I got the tree today. The leaves are tiny and autumn colour is amazing. She had already dug out the tree for me so definitely saved some time/effort!! for same price as we agreed , I consider it already a score;) It had a shallow root spread and told me she had it in a pot before planting it in the ground ( it was in the ground for about 4-5 years, also an indication that it must grow super fast). I got a really decent rootball. I cleaned a bit the roots, cut some big crossing ones and potted it in a wooden crate I quickly made. 50% potting clay granules & 50% equal parts akadama, pumice & compost. Secured with 3mm wire and ratchet strap (additional support for the winter but temporary). I must have removed around 75% of the foliage and 2/3 of the height so far (will probably cut some more in winter, I was too tired today).
I will probably raise the wall a bit and add a bit more substrate as I feel it too much over the surface. I was coming/cleaning roots for ~ 2 hours, I was too tired of doing this today.

Thoughts? In link below you can see the progress, last picture is how I left it today. I DEFINITELY need to clean/cut more roots and reduce the height further to about half of current but I got a bit reluctant as it is a bit early for diggin out in general. Is it too early to do some more root pruning and washing the old soil off in around 4-5 months from now? All tips / advice welcome.

Looking good, it has a decent base you can improve with time and nice amount of fine roots. As Brian suggested, its good for a clump style. I would check out Walter palls famous clump maple on here, have a look at the first pics of it, for future inspiration.

Danonito

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Walter palls famous clump maple on here
Thank for the suggestion. I did a quick search but didnt find anything , if you could show me the right link it would be great 🙏 I searched the internet for inspiration and came across the following style, which looks stunning. I just need to find a good thread somewhere with a progression from empty cut branches to the end result.
thumbnail_maple.png

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank for the suggestion. I did a quick search but didnt find anything , if you could show me the right link it would be great 🙏 I searched the internet for inspiration and came across the following style, which looks stunning. I just need to find a good thread somewhere with a progression from empty cut branches to the end result.
View attachment 461107
do a google search walter pall famous maple

Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 461107
You can make a cool tree out of your Maple. To get the something near the inspiration image you will have to do a major cut back near the trunk and grow it back out for many years. Make sure you do a bunch of air layers all over the maple before you cut it back. They layer very easily.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You can make a cool tree out of your Maple. To get the something near the inspiration image you will have to do a major cut back near the trunk and grow it back out for many years. Make sure you do a bunch of air layers all over the maple before you cut it back. They layer very easily.
I dont think it needs a heavy cut back to the lower trunk Matt. clump style trees along with forests and multi trunks are not generally cut back as hard as single trunks for taper. yes you will find some where the grower achieved great taper, while there are as many where the taper begins much higher up the trunks and some just not having much taper at all. I mean even his inspiration image doesnt have much taper, still a lovely tree though.
I think he can begin working what he has there and cutting back to off shoots and buds that are already present and going for height and ramification, creating subtle taper where possible.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This Bjorn tree, doesnt really have any dramatic taper in the trunks, there is gradual taper in a few as you get higher up
Screenshot_20221030-215337_Google.jpg

Doogliebop

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I concur with the Bnuts above me. I wouldn't pay anything. You're doing each other a favor, he needs it removed, you want to remove it. It's an even deal.

Danonito

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Happy new year Bonsai nuts! :) I'm opening this thread again as late winter approaches and I will have to make a decision (still havent haha). The tree looks healthy and will survive. However I'd like your opinions style wise. I have narrowed down my choices into below three (in the link you can see the preferred fronts)
1. Kabudachi #1 (base looks great but the trunks are like a very open "V")
2. Kabudachi #2 (base looks worse but trunks are more straight, resembling a "true" clump style)
3. Informal upright (its a secret choice #3, eliminating everything except the outline as this trunk movement is quite nice apart from that straight-ish middle part)
What would you guys go for? Any other input welcome. Of course there are still a lot of branches to be cut but for now keeping my options open :)

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Happy new year Bonsai nuts! :) I'm opening this thread again as late winter approaches and I will have to make a decision (still havent haha). The tree looks healthy and will survive. However I'd like your opinions style wise. I have narrowed down my choices into below three (in the link you can see the preferred fronts)
1. Kabudachi #1 (base looks great but the trunks are like a very open "V")
2. Kabudachi #2 (base looks worse but trunks are more straight, resembling a "true" clump style)
3. Informal upright (its a secret choice #3, eliminating everything except the outline as this trunk movement is quite nice apart from that straight-ish middle part)
What would you guys go for? Any other input welcome. Of course there are still a lot of branches to be cut but for now keeping my options open :)

can you post photos here -without directions to a different site?..only seeing one odd pixelated image, no imgur..

Danonito

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
can you post photos here -without directions to a different site?..only seeing one odd pixelated image, no imgur..
Apologies, I thought imgur would show all the pictures. I attach the 3 image ideas .

Attachments

• 323545089_902612734072948_1165114579585871025_n-removebg-preview.png
    323545089_902612734072948_1165114579585871025_n-removebg-preview.png
    52 KB · Views: 57
  • 323168294_500064098784239_2200872451746766578_n-removebg-preview.png
    323168294_500064098784239_2200872451746766578_n-removebg-preview.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 323545089_902612734072948_1165114579585871025_n-removebg-preview - Copy.png
    323545089_902612734072948_1165114579585871025_n-removebg-preview - Copy.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom