Is this Juniper stump worth collecting?

Dryad

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
With all the local walks I've been taking recently due to lockdown I'm finding myself constantly on the lookout for urban yamadori... Especially with collecting season nearly upon us. I spotted this stump in a neighbour's front yard, and at first glance I thought it was a Yew, but a closer look at the spiky foliage made me realise it's probably a Hemlock (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

20210117_151602.jpg

Apologies for the picture quality! the (weak) Foliage you see here is from a new leader, and behind it is a large stump scar of about 4 inches in diameter. My question is, assuming the neighbour would be happy to be rid of it (and if I'm granted full permission etc.) would it be worth collecting? I would likely train it in the ground (after 2-3 years recovery) for as long as it take for the new leader to create a nice tapered upper trunk structure, and with a bit of carving it could become something promising down the line. And yes, I am getting WAY ahead of myself... lockdown gives me too much time to think!

Would love to hear your thoughts.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks more like Juniperus communis. I don’t know about the European variety, but our mountain variety don’t respond well to collection.

Dryad

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looks more like Juniperus communis.
Yikes I'm embarresed... In my defence, Juniper is not very common in my area so I'm not familiar with it at all. Thank you for the heads up!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like a communis indeed. And I can vouch for their grumpy response to root work.
With that little foliage, your chances are close to zero. In a couple years however, it might be worth the dig.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Absolutely agree with guy wires, maybe worth playing with one day but it’ll never survive collecting with that amount of foliage

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally all in! Great low trunk/base. Agree with wait couple years first then take BIG root ball;).

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Id say let it recover some foliage first

Top Bottom