Is this material suitable for bonsai?

dmase

Seed
Reaction score
I recently found this old stump of an unknown species of tree. It looks like it has a lot of character but i’m not sure if it could be transformed into bonsai. It has a lot of healthy branches and a decent taper. The core of the trunk is also rotted completely through which i’m not sure adds or detracts to its overall look. I have a big plastic tub that I think would work as a trainer. Any thoughts?

Can anyone tell what kind of tree this is? The leaves haven’t come in yet so that might make it more difficult to identify.

5AEC466D-2368-4920-852C-5FCB136E3388.jpegE20507CF-E8EA-4F8F-AE2B-7B5CFF9298F6.jpeg

DEHattaway

Seedling
Reaction score
I think it would be difficult to accurately identify the species without seeing the leaves, however, regardless of species I think you should try working with it as it does show good potential for a bonsai. Just be sure to get plenty of fine feeder roots when you dig it up. It’ll make a beautiful tree regardless of species.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You make it very hard to Id a tree with a couple of out of focus shots of a big scar. Pics of the bark and branching is required to see if it has opposite or alternate budding and general growth habit. Still may not be able to get a specific ID but those factors will narrow the possibilities.

Most trees can make good bonsai. Sometimes the time and effort required outweight the value of the tree. hard to tell just which parts are alive and which are dead from this angle but I suspect there will be some value in this stump. Hollow trunk does not preclude from bonsai. You may be able to develop that as a feature. At least it will be a bit different from all the other paint by numbers bonsai.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Is this somewhere that you could leave it until you ID and perhaps the right time of year to dig up? If so, I would leave it.

If not, if you're as impatient as I am and have a nice tub waiting to be filled... tub it up and see! In this case perhaps just do as little disturbing as possible since you don't know what it is, and it's growing season after all, perhaps too late to do any 'safe' collecting.

It looks like it has some character and potential either way of it is a suitable species.

dmase

Seed
Reaction score
I added some more detailed pictures. This is a stump that i was planning on digging up anyways. It’s in my backyard and kind of in the way. There is a substantial tap root that extends very far into the ground. I doubt i will be able to pot it without removing this first. I’m hoping this does not kill the tree.

I’ll post more pictures once i have it out of the ground.5C422FA7-38E5-4181-BB30-B021E48D40A4.jpeg0D28F4D2-3FEE-4B56-95C8-B88FFC2FC7D8.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Removing the tap root is no different to cutting any other roots. That in itself will not kill a tree.
We are still not sure about the species so unsure about just how resilient it is but you have nothing to lose. Just get it out, cut the tap root just below those surface laterals and shorten the laterals. looks like there won't be much left after all that but many trees can tolerate that sort of transplant as long as you provide reasonable conditions for the next couple of months so it can start growing new roots.

Looks like the branching is alternate which rules out any maples. From the look of the bark I would say that oak is a good possibility.

dmase

Seed
Reaction score
So i dug it up and then proceeded to chop up the roots with a sawzall to make it fit the only suitable pot I had. At this point it’s become more of an experiment just to see if the thing will survive all this abuse. Also I didn’t have any bonsai soil on hand so i just used garden dirt.

there was not a lot of fine root structure on it either which makes me concerned that it wont make it.
Also the middle cavity goes down about 4 inches below the ground so i’m worried that it’s just going to fill with water and keep rotting.2DF5ED1D-F918-4EB6-8AED-14BACCD47E84.jpeg

Attachments

• 33215049-8EBC-4325-9110-087E9209F401.jpeg
    33215049-8EBC-4325-9110-087E9209F401.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 20

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
So i dug it up and then proceeded to chop up the roots with a sawzall to make it fit the only suitable pot I had. At this point it’s become more of an experiment just to see if the thing will survive all this abuse. Also I didn’t have any bonsai soil on hand so i just used garden dirt.

there was not a lot of fine root structure on it either which makes me concerned that it wont make it.
Also the middle cavity goes down about 4 inches below the ground so i’m worried that it’s just going to fill with water and keep rotting.View attachment 299622
Now that you have it out of the ground... that thing is crazy looking! Almost spooky... I hope you don't have Trypophobia.

Pretty neat though.

Perhaps drill or punch a hole or two through so it drains well, or just let it rot out at is. Or could put some coarse soil around the submerged trunk to prevent water sitting there.

Interesting project for sure!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You would be surprised at what some trees can survive. Fingers crossed that it was not all a waste of time and effort.
I would not worry about the hollow for now. I have a JM that has had a hollow trunk that holds water and it has been fine for around 10 years. The inside of the trunk is not really living tissue so it can just rot away without affecting the live outer parts. It is likely that if it lives it will rot right through now and your problem will be solved but it is also possible to drill out the remaining trunk to allow drainage straight through the trunk. Leave that until it decides whether to live or die.

I'd love to see updates on this thing. I want to know how this turns out either way so keep posting whenever something happens.

Top Bottom