Is this moss or should I remove?

bonsainewbeeee

Seedling
Reaction score
HI all!

I have a maple bonsai here and I notice that the soil top has part regular moss part leafy moss? Should I remove the green leafy invaders and leave the regular moss?
I've never planted any moss over the top.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20210616_131258.jpg
    IMG_20210616_131258.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 94

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Common liverwort (Marchantia polymorpha) Is a subtropical ground covering plant with forked branches that will grow to 4 inches long. It does not produce flowers nor seeds. Considered a weed in gardens and lawns, it forms a dense carpet over the ground and reproduces by spores. It is fire tolerant and has been useful in woodland restoration projects to help deter ground erosion.
I personally would remove it, robs nutrients and clogs up your soil.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As @moke said….I agree….I’d remove it and let the soil breathe and the nutrients available feed the tree.

Just my thought process….I wouldn't keep moss over the substrate unless the tree was headed for showing. It’s probably better in person, up front and close, but from here, in the photo, the soil looks rather thick, organic, muddy and wet….perfect for weeds. However, whatever it is, it seems to be working out well for you and the tree.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It looks OK when it starts and is small, but that won't last long. You can't get rid of it soon enough or completely enough, so better had get the tree repotted and pull all of it out ASAP. Pieces of root will break off and it will come back again and again. It will be with you for a long time as its spore germinate periodically.

Top Bottom