is this normal for a korean hornbeam

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
no stunning colors for the fall, my maple turned orange is this normal for a hornbeam that had a fungus the stems seem to be growing and there are even green buds on them.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 134

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Mine hasn't turned colors yet either, but the bare branches at the back of yours are a bit concerning.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Lupe, we don't low where you are from. My Kh is showing its fall color now, but we have had several hard frosts and, of course, the days are uite a bit shorter.

Color on hornbeams is not as vibrant as that in maples, anyway.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Lovely, Brian . . . but it's still a pastel. Maples are a brilliant crimson. I didn't say they weren't as pretty.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@jkl I wouldn't presume that _ALL_ maples are crimson.... my paperbark maple is more of an orange color ... almost never RED.... my Tridents have brilliant colors SOMETIMES and some of my maples are often a lite yellow... the redest of the maples are the Amur Maples (Acer Ginnala)

@Brian .... Very nice.... now when do you want me to come over and we can get started on carving that hollow.... ;)

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice coloring Brian, my Hornbeam has changed colors to bright yellow and begun to drop leaves as well, not sure if it is the Korean variety though?? Is there any definitive features to tell which variety a Hornbeam is?

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
as for the bare branches in the back they have some leaves but most dropped off a few weeks ago, i made the mistake in the summer of leaving this tree under a tree and it developed a fungus of some sort i sprayed in with fungacide the bare branches and the branches that still have leaves on them appear to still be growing longert they also developed small green buds

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Brian .... Very nice.... now when do you want me to come over and we can get started on carving that hollow.... ;)

Ready when you are! Although I might come out ahead if I brought it out your way. My father-in law lived in Gig Harbor and I would move out there in a split second. It's been a few years since he passed, and I miss it out there.

@Mike: check Brent's website, he has the 3 Asian varieties' descriptions and photos of leaves. Post a photo of the leaves and let's have a look.

@Lupe: Once it cools and you get a frost over there in Arkansas, you should see some color starting. Let's hope you get a better growing season next year; it's a beautiful tree.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Brian - If you moved to Gig Harbor you would be only minutes from me/vic and grouper (he lives close enough) as well as Elandan Gardens (sounds like a number of great reasons to move :p )

@Mike - Japanese Hornbeam have deep clean veining in the leaves... this is one of the things that make them beautiful as bonsai... the koreans (coreana) have better color however.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Brian - If you moved to Gig Harbor you would be only minutes from me/vic and grouper (he lives close enough) as well as Elandan Gardens (sounds like a number of great reasons to move :p )

Spent a few hours at Elandan in '97...amazing place, and would love to get back out that way again.

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
here are pictures of the back as well as what imean by green buds on branches throughout the whole treeIMG_0047.jpgIMG_0049.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not good...you don't want those buds to open, or they'll die in the first freeze; and they may anyway at this stage. Keep the pot cool, back to the shade, and hope they don't open until spring. You still may lose some over the winter.

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hmm what do these buds mean, if they open and die will new buds not form in spring even branches with green leafs on them have these buds how would you recomend wintering it

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys. Its definitely not a Japanese Hornbeam since its leaves are not long and narrow enough. I've been leaning towards it being an American or more likely a European Hornbeam due to its fall color and overall appearance. Its its just some rough stock and this is the first fall I've had it plus I haven't done much looking into which variety it is yet. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow of the tree and leaves itself. Sorry if it seems like I'm jacking this post a little.

Top Bottom