Is this pests or a sickness or nothing?

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've noticed on just a couple leaves on my Trident maple there's these dark brown almost black spots on them. Just wondering if this happens normally or if I need to take care of something. I'm going to research it as well but figured if it is something people here would know tricks on fixing it. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190516_084314414.jpg
    IMG_20190516_084314414.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 57

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fungus is suspect. If you do not do a regular schedule of spraying, and you live in a humid and wet climate, you can get outbreaks of fungal disease. Get some fungicide and spray your fungus susceptible trees. I do a schedule of every 2-3 weeks during the worst parts of the year. You'll want to cut off effected leaves and dispose of them. Catch this early and you will be fine.
I like Daconil as my go to fungicide. You may need to rotate a couple different fungicides.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Fungus is suspect. If you do not do a regular schedule of spraying, and you live in a humid and wet climate, you can get outbreaks of fungal disease. Get some fungicide and spray your fungus susceptible trees. I do a schedule of every 2-3 weeks during the worst parts of the year. You'll want to cut off effected leaves and dispose of them. Catch this early and you will be fine.
I like Daconil as my go to fungicide. You may need to rotate a couple different fungicides.
I thought that might be it. I just took care of the leaves I could see. And hit it with my disease and pest control spray. That's all I have right now. I'll get some daconil this weekend. Thanks!

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could be Anthracnose. I think most maple species are susceptible to it. If that's not it, it's still good to be familiar with the fungus if you're keeping maples.

I always thought it was mostly harmless, but it can devastate trees, especially small containerized trees if it's bad enough. It can start out as small spots on the leaves, but after a few seasons it can be very harmful.

Search Smoke's threads for anthracnose, he has a very good write up about it with pictures and how to combat it.

Tbwilson33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s possible to get both I suppose but what is in that picture is tar spot fungus to me if it progresses into something other then tar spots on the leaves consider possible fungi. Look up common disease of the species of trees you have so you know what to look for. I also spray with manzoceb which is abroad sprectrum fungicide on a preventative basis it’s something to consider. As posted about there are some nasty diseases that can be easily contracted when container growing trees.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do a search on "black spot leaf" It's a fungal thing caused by a lot of rain or moisture on leaves. Typically happens with elms when their leaves get wet at night and stay that way. I've seen mild cases on trident too

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm having similar concerns about my Chinese Elm which I suspect has contracted a fungal infection.

I'm fairly new to bonsai but have bought a few successful trees over about a year. This Chinese Elm has always been a bit of a problem. As soon as I got it home it shed a lot of leaves but it never entirely recovered its full canopy. It now looks very spartan compared to the others which are thriving. I monitor my bonsai water levels with a meter to avoid over-watering and they are located at a South-facing window (they are usually inside but, due to the heat indoors, I have placed them on a window sill in the image). However, this Elm has leaves that quickly turn a mottled yellow with spots and fall off (these spots are not spider mites, I have checked).
IMG_2498.JPG

I've noticed recently black markings (and holes) on its leaves and think it could be black spot. I also suspect that the pot is too small for the Elm (although I bought it not long ago). Perhaps this is worsening the problem. The soil looks a bit fusty too. It's strange as I have other Chinese Elms given the exact some treatment that are doing great. I just don't get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits' end with this plant - it's definitely becoming the problem child!

IMG_2499.jpg

Top Bottom