Is this plan realistic?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So 14 months ago, I found this in a nursery, mislabelled as a felicia amelloides. I was in my "buy anything" stage then, so I gave it a try.

IMG_20210222_183108 (1).jpg

I learnt later, it was a coprosma kirkii variegata (New Zealand). I've been working on it (very bonsai friendly species), and today it looks like this:

IMG_20220423_161433 (1).jpg

Two non variegated suckers have growed....
My aim is to "fill" the space betwen layers in the main tree with the left sucker, while creating a twin tree with the right sucker.... Is it a realistic goal (with time)?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The suckers can be grown into anything given time but have you considered how the difference in foliage color will look? I think the contrast will be stark and draw attention away from the tree and styling.
There's also the problem of vigour. The green parts will always be stronger than the variegated sections. It is possible to control by pruning but will take more time and effort.
I don't see space that needs filling. Also don't see any need for a right side for that tree. 'Balance' is not always about having equal amounts of foliage on either side. One sided trees are dynamic and can be far more interesting to look at than symmetrical shapes.
Not worth it IMHO.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The suckers can be grown into anything given time but have you considered how the difference in foliage color will look? I think the contrast will be stark and draw attention away from the tree and styling.
There's also the problem of vigour. The green parts will always be stronger than the variegated sections. It is possible to control by pruning but will take more time and effort.
I don't see space that needs filling. Also don't see any need for a right side for that tree. 'Balance' is not always about having equal amounts of foliage on either side. One sided trees are dynamic and can be far more interesting to look at than symmetrical shapes.
Not worth it IMHO.
I was thinking about a ribbon like rounding the layers (1 cm inside), but as you say contrast could be not as pleasent as I imagine. Also, I didn't mean a simetric twin tree, but more like an accent company tree.
Anyway, for a beginner like me, experimenting is always interesting, so I'll explore some solutions.
Thanks for taking time to comment, your points of view and comments are always most valuable!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I Think this is a neat idea.. however, my feeling is that there are "better", in my opinion, approaches.

I believe, if the non-variegation persists.. it WILL cause contrast.. but possibly this can be utilized to suggest depth. But it's an uphill "shrug-war".

I like the Right sucker-turned-tree idea... but the idea of utilizing the left... I think is gratuitous.. and an unnecessary use of your time...

I can see you fill that space WITHOUT needing that branch/chute.

These are interesting "bones"... gotta "lead" with that.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still can get over that 14month transformation, wow what a difference.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting. Nice work you’ve done. I wonder if the characteristics will merge in the future. Right now it’s a very cool…Look at this one….fascinating unusual development.

I find your work on this to be highly memorable and eye catching. Simply fascinating. Right now it’s distinctively fresh. Well done. Mighty fine!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. Nice work you’ve done. I wonder if the characteristics will merge in the future. Right now it’s a very cool…Look at this one….fascinating unusual development.

I find your work on this to be highly memorable and eye catching. Simply fascinating. Right now it’s distinctively fresh. Well done. Mighty fine!
Not the way it works. There are two plants here...This is likely a grafted tree, with the original rootstock producing the green and the scion on top producing the variegated portion. The rootstock can grow more strongly than the grafted section sometimes. That growth can come at the expense of the scion. I see it around here with landscape Japanese maple with homeowners not understanding that the rootstock is outgrowing the special variety of maple that's grafted on. They're losing what they overpaid to get...

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not the way it works. There are two plants here...This is likely a grafted tree, with the original rootstock producing the green and the scion on top producing the variegated portion. The rootstock can grow more strongly than the grafted section sometimes. That growth can come at the expense of the scion. I see it around here with landscape Japanese maple with homeowners not understanding that the rootstock is outgrowing the special variety of maple that's grafted on. They're losing what they overpaid to get...
I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

Top Bottom