Is this possible? Growing bonsai in water? All species.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can do the same in marbles, gravel, peat moss, fired clay [ lecca ] ................................
Remember it is the union of Bonsai pot and tree, with a decorative soil e.g 100 % round gravel.
How the shapes / textures / negative -positive spaces, masses interact.
Good Day
Anthony

* And you can even magnetically levitate them.
If one has gotten too bored lovingly growing the plants.
Teasing here.
Have a good chuckle.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd be interested to know how this would work long term.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can't imagine a pine doing well very long with roots sitting in water

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I suppose one would have to replace the water often to keep it oxygenated?

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I got a little self contained hydroponics kit for Xmas that is actually pretty legit. We have a huge crop of tomatoes getting ready to ripen now that have grow in water plus nutrients and no substrate. The water is aerated during daylight hours with a little bubbler pump.

Once you go to a substrate you are getting closer to classical bonsai. Many have shown the ability to grow trees in completely inorganic substrate already. The only caveat to 'hydroponics' seems to be that the water must be aerated. If using a substrate this is taken care of by the pore spaces.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The key item to ponder is how will the root get the oxygen from the water. Isn't that what we all agreed on that roots need air to survive? In the description, they stated the water will be changed out weekly. Still this kind of going against what we all come to accept - Roots need air.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
The key item to ponder is how will the root get the oxygen from the water. Isn't that what we all agreed on that roots need air to survive? In the description, they stated the water will be changed out weekly. Still this kind of going against what we all come to accept - Roots need air.

Yes, thus the aeration. Maybe changing weekly would work if the plant is a slow metabolizer, who knows, it depends on how much gas exchange is needed.

Top Bottom