Is this Quercus Robur/English Oak worth the trouble?

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Stumbled upon an English oak yesterday that was in a very shaded spot. The base is about 4 inches wide and it has some very low branches. So I was wondering if you guys and girls see any potential in it and if it's worth getting it out of the ground and into a pot? (the leaves surrounding are from american oaks not from the one I want to collect btw :) )
Thanx.

IMG_20171104_134442[8564].jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I dont know much about English oaks but I love north american oaks but I would consider digging it. Maybe keep looking for a better one, would take a while to get a concrete shape down but its got a good base. Its up to you if its worth collecting!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree, one with a better developed bark. But this one could be good for something small, just dig down 'round the trunk to see what's going on deeper.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Worth it, depends on your goals.
As said above, perhaps for shohin. maybe. Depends on what is down below.

If one were willing to keep it in the ''grow out phase'' either in nursery pots, grow boxes or in the ground, and willing to put an additional 20 years of chopping back and growing out, sure, collect it.

Myself I would look for something with more mature bark in the first 6 inches of trunk, and more twisting and turning in that first 6 inches. (first 15 cm of trunk for outside the USA).

Reaction score
It is great practice material if nothing else better work on this and get experience than a 500 year old Yamadori and kill it, and it will make a very nice small tree if you have patience

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stumbled upon an English oak yesterday that was in a very shaded spot. The base is about 4 inches wide and it has some very low branches. So I was wondering if you guys and girls see any potential in it and if it's worth getting it out of the ground and into a pot? (the leaves surrounding are from american oaks not from the one I want to collect btw :) )
Thanx.

View attachment 166111
Doesn't really have very low branches, as much as it has secondary trunking that needs removal mostly. Mediocre potential as far as character. Nice as far as size goes. good for you for realizing that a larger trunk is better than spindly saplings.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Ry2Tree2

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you're collecting English Oak. Not convinced that his techniques will translate directly to the dozens of oak species in the U.S.
That's what I am wondering as well! I found some examples on BonsaiNut of people root pruning nursery or bonsai oaks of other species at the usual early springtime, but OP was posting specifically about English oak, so certainly worth a shot. I just collected a huge Brewer's (subspecies of Oregon/Gary/White) Oak and stumbled on Harry's article after. It has me worried whether or not this species responds similarly or not since I have not yet talked to someone who has collected these.

Top Bottom