Is this scale or normal for Kinzu?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Recently got this kinzu or Hong Kong kumquat, it showed up a little ragged but I cant tell if these spots are something normal for kinzu, or scale etc? Any idea?

Attachments

• 20201108_093017.jpg
    20201108_093017.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 20201103_114950.jpg
    20201103_114950.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 119

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not normal. They should look like normal citrus and have clean unblemished green branches for this year's new growth. Also the leaves should not be curled.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not normal. They should look like normal citrus and have clean unblemished green branches for this year's new growth. Also the leaves should not be curled.
So not normal, but any idea if its scale? I occasionally get scale on my other citrus (calamondin, orange, Persian lime, etc) but theyre much larger and dark grey. He mentioned the high iron in their water is the reason the leaves look like that.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'd keep it away from any trees you like. Isolate that thing.

Spray with insecticide listed for scale. The more toxic the better. You don't want that crud spreading.

If it isn't scale, hopefully what ever you used kills it off.

If it is environmental, for example excess iron (which I doubt) it will slowly recover with your better horticulture.

It is a bad idea to knowingly accept diseased plants into your collection, no matter how cheap.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd keep it away from any trees you like. Isolate that thing.

Spray with insecticide listed for scale. The more toxic the better. You don't want that crud spreading.

If it isn't scale, hopefully what ever you used kills it off.

If it is environmental, for example excess iron (which I doubt) it will slowly recover with your better horticulture.

It is a bad idea to knowingly accept diseased plants into your collection, no matter how cheap.
Well thats the thing... it wasn't cheap, and came from a reputable bonsai nursery... couldnt see the problems from the pictures before purchase. Quite frustrating but what do you do, complain to the seller with what expectations?

Plan of action is to fertilize with the stuff I got from you and apply neem oil. I think I've read before you can spot treat small infestations like this with isopropyl or peroxide, but I cant find where I read that.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what expectations?

I'd have expectations for them to care about the next guy. Inform them for them. I guess that's not a complaint.

Kinda bogus, it's not like you can overlook that.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Definitely talk with the seller. Talk about returning for refund. See where that goes. Even the best nursery has the occasional "oops", and ships a plant that is less than acceptable. Talk to them see if they are receptive to a return and refund or replacement.

Spot treating with isopropyl alcohol, 70%, straight from the bottle. The strength isn't that important for insect control, 70% or 90%. But no lower than 70%. The alcohol works to dehydrate the scale and or adelgid and or aphids or any insect it comes in contact with. Lower strengths won't have the "kill" effect. Just dip and apply with a q-tip.

After or in addition to the alcohol, neem oil is a good general purpose. If you have it on hand, the Bonide systemic or the Bayer systemic based on imadiproclid would be a good choice.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Held up in shipping? Shipping conditions are textbook scale breeding grounds.

Treat as suggested and for sure isolate and apply to all other material shipped with.

Can communicate with seller the situation but it is what it is......

Good luck and get to sprish-sprish'n... :cool: 😷

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Held up in shipping? Shipping conditions are textbook scale breeding grounds.

Treat as suggested and for sure isolate and apply to all other material shipped with.

Can communicate with seller the situation but it is what it is......

Good luck and get to sprish-sprish'n... :cool: 😷
It was shipped 2 day priority but I think it spent 6 or 7 days in the mail.

Here's some closer pictures under a coin lense, the fuzz is from the qtip lol. Last pic is the healthy foliage that doesn't have the pest.

Thanks for the help guys

Attachments

• 20201108_124859.jpg
    20201108_124859.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20201108_124929.jpg
    20201108_124929.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20201108_124954.jpg
    20201108_124954.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 64

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Definitely this is some kind of infestation.
I was just Spring pruning mine today and it's new growth is light green and clean.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Below are some scale insect candidates for you.

Waxy scale insects
And

Cottony cushion scale - common on citrus

Another group of scale

Another group of candidates

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Below are some scale insect candidates for you.

Waxy scale insects
And

Cottony cushion scale - common on citrus

Another group of scale

Thanks for taking the time to compile the list Leo, I'll check all of those out and see what I come up with

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hmm... whats the reasoning behind this? Less vigorous growth is less appealing to the insects?
No. Bugs attack weak plants first.
But it a good idea to not fertilize a weak tree too.....wish I had a better reasoning, but every bonsai book says that.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Incorrect.

insects like scale and aphids capitalize on vigorously growing trees due to more tender fresh growth.

it’s common practice with landscape trees to hold off on fertilizer to get scales or aphids under control. I do it and recommend it regularly and see the results.

I have good results with insect growth regulators for scale.

Top Bottom