Is this scale?

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is this scale? How can I get rid of them? Can this affect my other plants?

Attachments

• 0A77262C-8AFE-4A7B-BAE1-656E4B408930.jpeg
    0A77262C-8AFE-4A7B-BAE1-656E4B408930.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 13E4B128-28BB-41EE-97E8-671022071F3F.jpeg
    13E4B128-28BB-41EE-97E8-671022071F3F.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DA521AAB-DB2D-4FBB-AD51-787EC39F94F2.jpeg
    DA521AAB-DB2D-4FBB-AD51-787EC39F94F2.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 70
  • E2E8C8E8-3A5F-410C-B4C8-A9099C923A50.jpeg
    E2E8C8E8-3A5F-410C-B4C8-A9099C923A50.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 71
  • C7F9FA1B-0B94-46AF-AA4B-290462940449.jpeg
    C7F9FA1B-0B94-46AF-AA4B-290462940449.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 91

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Could be but hard to tell as the pictures are a bit blurry, I would look over the whole plant carefully, underneath leaves and in nooks and crannies each one found should be scraped off with finger nail or toothpick.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I mainly see discolourations. How is it fertilised?

The vague white blob doesn't look like scale

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How about these? Small black/brown specks?

Attachments

• BC54ECAB-06DD-4F47-86EC-8F2E41304E09.jpeg
    BC54ECAB-06DD-4F47-86EC-8F2E41304E09.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 52DF9BF5-2E94-4AB1-AC98-9D28E2C23D5B.jpeg
    52DF9BF5-2E94-4AB1-AC98-9D28E2C23D5B.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 80

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The pics are inconclusive. Scale do live on ficus so it is possible. Scale are small covers over the insect so if you can flick them off with a fingernail the chances of an accurate diagnosis increase.
No fertilizer will get rid of scale.
Horticultural oils can be used but are contact insecticide. you will need to cover every surface of the entire tree - top, underside, everything then repeat in 2 weeks to catch the ones you missed and any that have hatched since the spray.
Alcohol can also be used. Apply denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol with a Qtip?? and repeat every week to catch new hatchings.
Systemic insecticide travels through the entire tree and kills everything that sucks or eats.
Even if the diagnosis from the poor res photos is wrong the treatments above will not hurt the tree.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Using systemic pesticides without a proper diagnosis is pretty much overkill. Not something I'd promote given the environmental impact.

Fertilizer won't help against scale but this plant seems a bit yellow.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about these? Small black/brown specks?

That is fersure.

I just got ants inside on mine, following them to the scale, then burning it!

Good news....it's spring!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Scale doesn't normally occur on the leaves, almost always they cluster on the stems. If they occupied leaves it would be a suicide mission. There is nothing wrong with this plant. It is the time of year that inner, older foliage dies and is replaced by new exterior foliage. The plant is on its way to becoming leggy, which is the natural plan of plants. If you want to keep it looking approximately the way it is or was maybe a year ago, remove all the leader buds on stems you want to stay the length they are and leave them be on the branches that wouldn't be too long if the continued to elongate. Cut just above the bud in the axil of the 2nd leaf on each stem. Fertilize with any commercial liquid (Miracle Grow, et al) when you see new buds extending, once a month thereafter until September. Enjoy!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Unless you want thicker branches. You wouldn't do what Forsoothe is telling you to do. Adam Lavigne told me to allow branches to run to thicken them. You focus on one thing at a time while in development. I certainly wouldn't have gotten the branches thick if I didn't allow them to grow. I'm focused on structure for this tree. The rest will come once its set. First photo 2019...photo below was winter 2020. You need to decide on structure of your tree. What you want to focus on. Before cutting those grow tips. You thicken...then cut back for ramification and back budding.

FB_IMG_1595436212988.jpg20210122_213205.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
...Verses an economical tree.
FTB AABS 2020.JPG

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The pics are inconclusive. Scale do live on ficus so it is possible. Scale are small covers over the insect so if you can flick them off with a fingernail the chances of an accurate diagnosis increase.
No fertilizer will get rid of scale.
Horticultural oils can be used but are contact insecticide. you will need to cover every surface of the entire tree - top, underside, everything then repeat in 2 weeks to catch the ones you missed and any that have hatched since the spray.
Alcohol can also be used. Apply denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol with a Qtip?? and repeat every week to catch new hatchings.
Systemic insecticide travels through the entire tree and kills everything that sucks or eats.
Even if the diagnosis from the poor res photos is wrong the treatments above will not hurt the tree.
Will these work?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've not used any of those products on scale...I am not a fan of systematic either...BUT...I did have scale on my tigerbark this winter. I smashed what I could visibly see...and tossed some of this on it.

I will say, you won't see me using this harsh of treatment to any flowering species. But on a ficus...I caved.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BWZ9U8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_image

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
*I don't like to spray for treatment inside my home. Thus why I used the granular. I happen to have compromised respiratory.

Someone else may have used something which is a spray with success. So wait to see what others say.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use Pyola as an indoor (and greenhouse) spray. But I prefer to use a Bayer Rose 3-in-1 systemic because I don't like granules. Doesn't work any different, but I'm clumsy and I don't like grains that get moved around when I water.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I was just watching my ants thinking about...

The little groove in the top side of the petiole...you can run a pin head down that to get em from in there. By the third branch, you are funneling the leaf and scraping the right area faster blind then looking.

I don't usually find them on leaves either, but the ants are ensuring the get to the best places to eff up my tree!

On with the fire. They will be outside soon and never again brought indoors without my centopedial friends.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@ceriano - The first product you linked to will work and is safe enough to use. It will not harm the ficus. Do walk the tree outside to apply the spray. or set the tree in a bathtub or shower stall. Then bring the tree back inside once it has stopped dripping. The Bayer product is meant to be used outdoors.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A moderate infestation will have scale/eggs in the grove of the stem at the base of the leaf. And will continue along that same groove in the leaf if you let them!! Really, they'll be everywhere.
In my experience they love the growing tip where the freshest/juiciest foliage emerges.

Mechanical removal is pretty effective to a point. But with several generations reproducing, you will miss certain stages like egg incubation, hatch, mature...etc.....you'll need to go to the spray/systemic.
I prefer a spray as I find systemic granules to not provide the efficacy necessary. I've not had great success, your mileage may vary.....

Certainly exercise proper safety protocols if you go to the spray, PPE and of course, outdoors.

DIY cure? Dish soap in a spray bottle mixed with water.

Good luck, and act quickly before the "generations" start stacking up!!!😷

Top Bottom