penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it’s seeing full sun for the first time ever really.
There you have it. You answered your own question.
Would my hornbeam genetically be more susceptible to sun and wind than a hornbeam that has been grown in more exposed conditions?
There is some possibilty of this but there is also some possibility that a wild dug tree might have fungus or a host of problems.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are we talking about Salix arctica? The Arctic willow grows in tundra and rocky moorland, and is the northernmost woody plant in the world, occurring far above the tree line to the northern limit of land on the north coast of Greenland. It doesn't get "hot" in its native zone close to the suface of the "land" where this low-growing shrub lives. No wonder it can do poorly in Oregon zone 7? :cool:
Salix nakamurano yezo alpina

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Salix nakamurano yezo alpina
According to the Missouri Botanical Garden, "Willows are susceptible to numerous disease problems including blights, powdery mildew, leaf spots, gray scab and cankers. Potential insect pests include aphids, scale, borers, lacebugs and caterpillars. This plant is native to alpine areas and may struggle in the heat and humidity of a typical St. Louis summer."

I think most willows are bug hotels.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
According to the Missouri Botanical Garden, "Willows are susceptible to numerous disease problems including blights, powdery mildew, leaf spots, gray scab and cankers. Potential insect pests include aphids, scale, borers, lacebugs and caterpillars. This plant is native to alpine areas and may struggle in the heat and humidity of a typical St. Louis summer."

I think most willows are bug hotels.
Sounds like they are in a race to catch up with plants in the rose family.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m wondering if anyone has the answer to this. I’ve noticed some new growth on my Hornbeam has started to develop this brown edges to them. The edges while brown, are not crispy or dry when they first develop.

My tree is kept in the shade for as long as possible throughout the day, but gets sun from around 4:30 to 6:30 each day. the soil is kept moist, and watered when it starts to dry out a bit. I thought the tree may have a fungus issue so I sprayed it with fungicide late one evening during dusk a few days back.

Does this look like sunburn or some other issue to do with fungus or roots?
This tree appears to not be overwatered, but maybe there are areas of the root ball that are holding more water than others.

Hornbeam‘s love water and they are nearly impossible to overwater if they are in free draining soil. I also keep my hornbeam’s in full sun and they do just fine…

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But hornbeams are not full sun trees. They are natively under-canopy trees so the prefer shade.
Yes, competatively, they are in the understory, because often there are trees that outcompete them. They do well in the shade. They do equally well in full sun though
Would my hornbeam genetically be more susceptible to sun and wind than a hornbeam that has been grown in more exposed conditions?
No. Location does not really affect genet makeup (Although it DOES affect the expression of genetics). Swapping to full sun will take some time, but after a full cycle the tree should have no worries.

The damage you see feels like root issues. Water not reaching the tipes of the leaves, getting damaged, and fungal infection jumping in. It is something you see also when overfertilizing (Basically through the same pathway). How did it develop over the rest of 2021?

Top Bottom