Is this tree a Loblolly Pine?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who knows? Could be anything. Can't really tell from the photo. Where did you get it?

This species in native to much of the southern U.S. Apparently it has also been used in S.A. and other places as a plantation species for lumber

Matthew Rudling

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who knows? Could be anything. Can't really tell from the photo. Where did you get it?

This species in native to much of the southern U.S. Apparently it has also been used in S.A. and other places as a plantation species for lumber

Its on a farm where they grow pine trees for timber. Probably a Loblolly Pine then. Thanks for the response!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its on a farm where they grow pine trees for timber. Probably a Loblolly Pine then. Thanks for the response!
If it is a loblolly (pinus taeda), here's a reference. It's an underused species for bonsai even here in the states, even though it is the most common tree species here next to the red maple (acer rubrum).

Matthew Rudling

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks again. I just hope that it survives. I did get a fair amount of roots plus a few feeder roots. Put it in about 80% perlite and 20% potting soil. I also added a bit of its soil where I dug it up.
If it is a loblolly (pinus taeda), here's a reference. It's an underused species for bonsai even here in the states, even though it is the most common tree species here next to the red maple (acer rubrum).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should be ok, if you are very careful with the watering. Potting soil is a very very bad ingredient for bonsai soil, particularly for pines. It stays too wet and is hard to re-wet after it dries out. WIth the additional field soil, you are going to have to watch the soil doesn't stay soggy.

Matthew Rudling

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should be ok, if you are very careful with the watering. Potting soil is a very very bad ingredient for bonsai soil, particularly for pines. It stays too wet and is hard to re-wet after it dries out. WIth the additional field soil, you are going to have to watch the soil doesn't stay soggy.
Luckily the potting soil is mostly bark pieces. And I only put in a handful of the field soil as I heard this helps with pines? The mixture drains rapidly, and I will check how long the soil stays wet for this coming week. Fingers crossed!

Our local bonsai soils in SA are really bad. I actually repotted (without trimming roots) a few of my trees planted in the stuff which was basically mud. Terrible.

Matthew Rudling

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What should placement be for the tree? Shade, semi-shade, or full sun to get the growth going?

Last edited:

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Needles in bundles of 3 and I think the needles give off a lemony scent.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personal impression of Loblolly Pine seen was of brighter more yellowish colored needles. Not so dark green🤨.

Matthew Rudling

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personal impression of Loblolly Pine seen was of brighter more yellowish colored needles. Not so dark green🤨.
Perhaps it may be a slight genetic variation to the original loblolly pine. The main provider of pine seedlings in South Africa stipulates that they have genetically modified their stock but don't disclose its base parent from what I have read.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks again. I just hope that it survives. I did get a fair amount of roots plus a few feeder roots. Put it in about 80% perlite and 20% potting soil. I also added a bit of its soil where I dug it up.
Never had any luck collecting these. I am doubtful it will make it. You'd have better chances with a 1-2 year old sapling or seedlings. You can put some interesting movement into them.

Matthew Rudling

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never had any luck collecting these. I am doubtful it will make it. You'd have better chances with a 1-2 year old sapling or seedlings. You can put some interesting movement into them.
Well, I'll just have to watch it closely and report back in about 3 months!

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I've found the opposite to be true. They're bulletproof. I had a 100% collection rate, and I didn't really know what I was doing when I started. My largest was about seven feet tall at collection, without many feeder roots. I potted it in perlite, with a very small amount of peat and vermiculite mixed in, and a layer of peat over the top to keep the perlite from flying away. It's still doing fine two and a half years later, even after a nasty run-in with pine sawflies. Maybe it's harder in South Africa?

1695481314977.jpeg

1695481373610.png

1695481433168.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom